Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1D X images

Gosh, those are great looking photos at those ISOs. I'm currently looking in the sofa cushions for some spare change!

Thanks for the comments, all!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Nice to see some shots at higher ISO. Seems to be delivering as promised. Pity about the AFMA but good to see there may be a way around it.

Judging from the shots I think it's safe to say that you are quite pleased with what it can do. ENJOY!!
    Very pleased. In fact, the only disappointment is how little time I've had to go out and use it...

Perhaps a stomach bug - no significant outward symptoms to mimic? Not that I'm advocating malingering.

Really great shot Neuro. Thanks for posting. I will post some of mine later today when I get home. Reading your post made me think of using DPP instead of Lightroom to process my 1DX image. Doing so made me realize how much the default setting I was applying in Lightroom was not good at all for the 1DX image. After playing with DPP for a few hours on a few image I finally found the sweets spot and now my skin tone and contrast look a lot more natural. Really surprising how much the default setting of the DPP is actually good! Enjoy your 1DX!

I posted some low-light action shots of some friends of mine in the local mountain bike race in Canmore... here is the link:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/112330748779360240799/24HrsOfAdrenalin2012

I uploaded the original jpeg file from the camera. Noise reduction was set to the default level in the camera. You can use the zoom controls on the page to get a closer look. The four images range from ISO 1600 to 8000. In each case I fired off a long burst, and focus continued to work perfectly in the reduced light. Yes the black focus points did become a bit more difficult to see, but it wasn't detrimental.

The link doesn't work for me

What can you not shoot at 200,000 ISO and f/1.2?

Cheers,
    John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Okay I finally got a chance to grab some shots with the 500 mm f/4 II and the 1DX, along with the new 1.4 TC III that I just picked up. I tried last week for bear shots and struck out completely, so I went out today for some easier squirrel shots. The Dipper was a lucky bonus --- they are a lot rarer. Post processing in Lightroom 4 included cropping and noise reduction, plus the usual contrast and brightness adjustments.

Juvenile golden-mantled ground squirrels
    500 mm, 1/500 sec @ f/8, ISO 500

Least Chipmunk, 500 mm, 1/1000 sec @ f/8, ISO 25,600
    I kind of screwed up here... had the shutter and aperture set so tightly the camera had to pick a rather high ISO. But it's a very good test shot of the capabilities.

American Dipper
    700 mm, 1/320 sec @ f/8, ISO 1600
    Another "screw-up" here... I accidentally dropped the shutter speed to slower than I intended. But the stabilizer saved me here, even with the 1.4 TC attached.

As you can imagine, I'm quite delighted with the results! It's nice to have a camera that can cover my mistakes so well.

Love that first shot, super thin DOF with the rock in a focus plave with the little fellows eye, nice capture.
    Is a one legger dipper rarer that the bi-pod version?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur