Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad

Mickw; I think your situation might actually answer some of the other questions you posed in other threads. Why would someone buy the new 300mm II?

The image quality of the 300mm II with the 2x III might actually be usable in the size of prints you want to use.
    Going with the 2x III and 300mm II over the 500mm saves you having the 7 1/2 pounds of the 500mm. In your situation only having one lens might be enough to still be workable. Still the 300mm II weighes over 5lbs.
    If I were scaling back this would be my first step.

Since the 200-400mm may never materialize, it really isn't an option. It is a dream.

Next step I would have to think seriously and this would probably be my order, 300mm F4 or 400mm F4.
    Then the zooms 70-200mm II with an extender, 70-300mm L or the 100-400mm L.

Good Luck and I hope you only get good news here on out from the doctors.

I am very sorry to here of your health problems and I can fully relate to what you are going through. First, I lost my job and had to pretty much sell all of my best and beloved gear. Losing my job and my gear bit by bit really did a number on my spirits to where I don't even feel like I am the same person anymore. Photography is a huge passion of mine and it is what gets me through each day! Even though many gave me flack and don't understand why I bought cheaper replacements for some of the lenses I sold rather than just keeping all of the very needed $, I know I did it for a very important reason.

Now, a couple months ago I came down with an excrutiatingly painful health problem that will only continue to get worse. It limits what I can carry for gear and limits the amount of time I can spend doing what I love but I still endure the pain to keep me and my passion going. So needless to say, I've been dealing with blow after blow and I know what you are going through.

My opinion is to buy whatever you think is going to work for you to keep you shooting whether it is new and ligher, used, Canon or non-Canon but just KEEP SHOOTING! It's what is helping me more than any pain pill my doctor has prescribed so far!

Good luck with whatever you decide on and I wish you the best!

Denise

Hey Mick, no clarification needed, my sense of humour is so dry, it is barren and tends to get me in trouble at times, or as my wife says, Stephen that's not even funny. Humour is a great coping mechanism for most people and this is a positive environment here, where I find there is a lot of sharing and caring.

I am with you on the 200-400mm it does sound like a revolutionary lens and I was told by the Canon Australia rep it would be available in May, mainly because of you Brits and that Olympic thing you got going on soon.

Hope you can get your hands on one soon and tell us all about it. I also wish you good luck and good health.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Best of luck and if you ever do make to Orlando let me know.... I have friends at the amusement parks...
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911