Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road Trip for Great Photos - What do you Suggest?

Re: Road Trip for Great Photos - What do you Suggest?

Denise....sorry I can't help you w/your road trip, though Glacier would be a great destination.

My reason for replying is Brendan's statement concerning the 17-55 IS; "Just make sure It stays clean ~ dust is its biggest weakness."

I don't have an issue w/the first part of his statement, keeping your equipment clean is standard operating procedure. It's the second portion concerning dust being it's biggest weakness. I've owned the 17-55 2.8 IS for nearly a year now and haven't had a problem w/dust. And this lens has traveled thru NM, AZ, CO, UT, e.g. Mesa Verde, Mystery Valley, Horse Canyon and 2 days in Monument Valley w/a private guide driving us around MV....all very dusty environments. I haven't had to PS 1 spec of dust out of my photos taken w/this lens.

So in conclusion Denise, I haven't found dust to bethe 17-55 2.8 IS (nor in my other "dust" lens; the 100-400)biggest weakness....actually,it's weakness is probably me. []

Best of luck w/your lens....you'll truly enjoyit's results and enjoy your road trip, whatever you decide.

Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

My reason for replying is Brendan's statement concerning the 17-55 IS; "Just make sure It stays clean ~ dust is its biggest weakness."

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for your comments...I hope all pans out well for this trip! As far as the dust issue, I have heard so much about that being a problem, it was very reassuring to hear your response regarding it. I was hesitant in purchasing only due to thisproblem I keep reading about. I figure it won't be a huge problem for me since I am not in a major dusty area ...unless I neglect the housework because I'm too busy shooting pics! [:P] Otherwise, I will treat it as I do my other lenses, put a filter on it right out of the box and keep it capped in a bag when not in use and hope for the best!

Thanks again,
    Denise

Badlands, Wyoming, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Blackhills and finish with the Tetons and Yellowstone.

Did this in the winter a few years ago when I helped my brother move to Va from Oregon, also hit Glacier on the way from OR.