Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone help! Flash problems.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Someone help! Flash problems.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSierra

Well the flash is still working, that's the weird thing. It just won't talk to the camera other than telling it to flash. It won't evaluate, high speed sync....nothing. Then the camera just tells me it's not on or incompatible.

See the big contact on top of your camera? I'm pretty sure that's the "FIRE!" pin, so it's easy for that pin to make contact.

All those little pins are the ones that let your camera "talk" to your flash. If they aren't making good contact, you'll have the problems you're having. Try fresh batteries, wiggling the flash, and cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser or any other contact cleaning method that YOU trust. I have the same problems with my 580EX IIs (we have four of them) on our Canon bodies (we have three of them).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Re: Someone help! Flash problems.

Hey thanks for the tip, but alas, it was to no avail. I'm not sure what the hell is going on. This equipment is new as of this year, and not heavily used yet so I'm not sure why it decided to all of a sudden start doing this.

The only thing that's happened that might even make a difference is that I dropped the camera the other day. On to my living room floor, which is wood, but the camera body is all that fell. From about 4 feet I'd say. Landed on a corner, so from what I can tell otherwise, no harm done.

The other pins on the flash are all popping out and spring loaded as they should be, so they should be making contact.

Well, I'll be getting back home tomorrow, I'll go by a shop, and see what they have for ideas.

Thanks again everyone, and I'll come back and let know what happens.

John