Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New website, what do you think?

Re: New website, what do you think?

Jan, One more piece of advice---Though we all are provideing our "best" advice---ultimately it is you and your brother that you have to please. If you don
    Bob

I hear you Bob. To be honest, about the grain, I like the darkening effect, but I'm not sure about the raster. So I'm in between and I wanted to show you what it is without the grid. It's an easy change and I can afford it because there's no rush. (but secretly I hope I can figure out a way to create a more equal way of darkening without a grid)

By the way, the advice tastes great!

Thanks Bob.

Jan,

Congratulations on the site! I think it looks wonderful. I didn

Thanks Rich!

I fully agree with the changes in the about section. I updated it. The about section is still temporary. I will make a final version later on which will take some more thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    I was going to suggest that you remove the Flickr hyperlinks beneath the photos, but it seems like you did that already. Good job, on that one too!

Yea, at first I liked it, because I initially planned to integrate Flickr into the galleries. I stepped down from it, because the loading times were even worse than the first galleries, so I decided to take all Flickr related links of the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    I don't see any place to purchase photos. Is this by design?

Yes, the website is just our personal portfolio to show to the world so to speak. I'm open for people who specifically will ask for it and will probably include that somewhere stealthy in the about section later on.

I started the website with a friend of mine and he wanted to ask money for certain things. We did it his way, but it turned out to be a lot of work and irritation and I had to arrange everything while he was giving me "orders" on asking more and more(even for charity driven events). It also destroyed a few good relationships we had build up with a few clubs.That's why I don't plan on selling any photos unless specifically asked.

What I now plan to do with the website is:

- Show the portfolio

- Make galleries for certain sportsevents. If a player sees himself/herself in a photo, they simply mail me with the request of a high res photo. I send it to them and the responses I get are worth more than 5 dollars a photo, that's for sure. It has also created some invites to events I otherwise wouldn't have gotten into, which is pretty cool.

Also when we don't ask anything for our eventphotography, we're also much more selective in our selections. The quality of our gallerie is usually a lot better than the photographers who just click and try to sell every single photo. Eventhough we're not able to take everyones photo that way, a lot of people like it a lot more and come back to view different galleries later on while they may not even relate to them.

And since me and my brother are both still in university, we're not looking for a busy photography business.

Obviously we would ask money if someone wants us to shoot a wedding or something. That has happened before.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jan

Jan,

I really like your site and look forward to seeing more of your portfolio there in future. I think the other members have covered most of what I wanted to say. Here are my thoughts:
    • Personally, I quite liked the grid that you used to darken the background. The effect was quite subtle and it allowed me to focus on the other pictures. I vote to reinstate it.
    • When I hover my mouse over "Hellendoorn Rally 2011", an arrow appears under the "2" of 2011 instead of to the right like in the other menus. Can you make this tab wider, or just delete the arrow?
    • The background image doesn't match your theme of action. I was expecting something more, er, active. Please don't take that the wrong way, because I love the image and the memories that it insipes of my own time in Norway, but the tranquil scene might confuse visitors looking for action.
    Overall, you've done a good job and I hope the website leads to more opportunities for you and your brother.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-12-2011 at 10:16 PM.