Tom,

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman
Sharpness between the two lenses is the same. Color and contrast were a bit high for my taste on the 17-40, but it could have been just my copy too.

Thank you. Color and contrast are easily corrected for me either with a camera adjustment or DDP after the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman
If the 17-40 is in your budget get it as you can't go wrong. It is a fine lens. Unless of course you need to shoot indoors under poor lighting conditions.

I have the 17-55 for my 50D as well as the 24-70 f/2.8L and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS so I have indoor/low light pretty well covered. I think I am acquiring a pretty sweet glass collection and I am very happy with my bodies with the addition of the 5D II. I am looking for something wider for landscapes and tripod use. Before the addition of the 5D II I was looking at the EF-S 10-22. However, with the addition of the 5D II it seems foolish to me to not get the glass to use that beautiful full frame CMOS sensor. Add in that the 17-40 actually costs a little less and comes with the hood and is L glass, it is a "no-brainer".

As soon as I get the cost covered -- it will be soon -- I will order the 17-40.

Chris