Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fourth of July photo thread (fireworks, picnics, etc.)

Re: Fourth of July photo thread (fireworks, picnics, etc.)

I am probably going to buy a wireless shutter release soon. I have many uses for it, besides the once-a-year 4th of July celebration. Please explain the bulb mode. How is that different from manual, released with a timer, except you have the ability to start the shot immediately?

In bulb mode you set the aperture and the shutter stays open for however long you happen to hold the button down rather than for a set amount of time.

Alan

HiFiGuy, you did very well on your shots, overall.

IAMB confirms what I mentioned earlier: use the bulb setting and remote switch. The switch is something you'll always have need of, anyway, if you're using a tripod. Well worth the money.

By the way, IAMB, nice work on those fireworks. [Y]

Alan,

Thank you very much for the kind words! I feel pretty happy with my shots, considering it was my first time attempting to capture fireworks, and I am still learning a new camera. Having a D-SLR at all is new, to be honest.

It is funny now, but yesterday as I was setting up, I had a little bit of panic creep in as I couldn't figure out how to set aperture in manual mode! [:$][] I laughed at myself after I figured it out, but it was an unexpected obstacle.

Does anyone have suggestions for a remote trigger? I don't want a wired model. I understand there are some that are less than $30 that even have the ability to emulate a half-press for AF.

After some others have posted, I may put up some more shots, but I didn't want to overwhelm the thread. I was really hoping to have lots of participation fromeveryone who took the time to get shots of their local shows.

Alan, thanks!

HiFiGuy, if those are a first attempt, you're doing wonderfully. I'm almost embarrassed by my first-year fireworks attempts.

As for a remote switch, is there any particular reason you don't want a wired version? I use the Canon TC-80N3 and a 30ft extension cord and have never really wished for anything else.

Alan

A few of mine. It really depends on how much money is available to the community, on how well the fireworks presentation is. Ours has a limited set of funds.

For this time around, they shifted the display so that we were facing south. Thus, the moon was in every shot.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34/fireworks-1.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34/fireworks-2.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34/fireworks-3.jpg[/img]

I tried fireworks for the first time this year and have to admit it was fun. One thing's for sure, once it starts there's not much time for adjustment. Would like to have switched lens a couple of times but still relatively pleased with the results.

<span class="exif"]2s f/8.0 at 24.0mm iso100

Hope you enjoy and the rest are here if you're interested.[View:http://www.pbase.com/dbrasco/fireworks]

Alan,

I really like all three of yours, but the third one, which looks like sea oats on fire, is particularly nice. I don't know if I have ever seen one like that before.

Don,

Great as always! The first one is in-your-face and intense, but I really like the flower-like image of the third one, complete with stem, leaves, petals and center.

Quote Originally Posted by IAMB

Alan, thanks!

HiFiGuy, if those are a first attempt, you're doing wonderfully. I'm almost embarrassed by my first-year fireworks attempts.

As for a remote switch, is there any particular reason you don't want a wired version? I use the Canon TC-80N3 and a 30ft extension cord and have never really wished for anything else.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

IAMB,

I guess I just didn't want the wires tethering me, but I could if I had to. I was thinking family self-portraits in the sand on the beach, among other things,where the cable might be visible. I guess it could be PS'ed out, but I don't have PS. [] I think a wireless transmitter would be cheaper than PS.

Don,

Spectacular! Great looking shots.