Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Generation of FF Bodies

I think there will be a 5D Mark IV, as the 5Ds and 5Ds R were specifically mentioned as not being successors to the 5D Mark III. And as far as I've contemplated, the only feature I'm fairly certain the 5D IV will contain is a Dual Pixel sensor, as the full-frame compatible EF 24-105 IS STM suggests that their will eventually be a full-frame camera (or cameras) with which to use it on.

Otherwise, I'd expect some sensor improvements, but those have typically been very small (incremental) rather than revolutionary over the past several years. I'd also expect a small gain in resolution, but I wouldn't necessarily expect a huge jump in FPS (though maybe a larger buffer capacity if a new type of memory card is implemented), not because it isn't possible but because Canon will want to segment their market based on the FPS feature.

I think the 5D IV will have more video-related upgrades as video was obviously not a priority in the high resolution 5Ds/5Ds R. An obvious addition would be 4K recording and maybe even focus peaking. Other than that, we might see built-in GPS, but I have my doubts as far as Wi-Fi goes (though it could happen).

My wish list is small and would apply to either the 5D or 6D series.

1. An articulated screen. I didn't realize how handy it is to have this until I didn't have it. Last year I picked up a 5D off of ebay as my first FF camera. It's just a camera with no frills, but it does a great job. The first thing I noticed is not having a live view capability followed by not being able to move the screen when I needed a low macro angle, or shooting with my arm extended above my head. I kept going back to my 60D for these occasions as I was not willing to make due without those features. I don't use it all of the time, but it's nice to know it's there if you need it. YMMV on this of course. I now have a 6D and my 5D is about to go on ebay. Half of my wants is better than none, right??

After that, my skills aren't up to the level of wanting more features than are available to me today given the equipment I have. If we are including 6D in this discussion, I would like for them to include at least the 7D's AF system with DPAF.

A few points.
    Monitors that go beyond 8 bits of range per colour channel do exist, they just cost a lot more and usually only the higher end graphics monitors have that option.

Gamut range in prints varies greatly and is dependent on the media coating, the gloss factor, as well as the ink set used. With the current inks available for both Canon and Epson, proper photo printers like the iPF series not consumer models, the reproducible range is quite a bit larger than sRGB for most high quality media. Most inexpensive monitors do not come close. For a better match to current print technology use a monitor that will at least cover AdobeRGB. Photographers cheaping out on their monitors and not calibrating constitute the largest source for colour issues with my printing. It WILL look different when you clip and compress the data on a POS display!!! If you are going to work in a visual medium get a proper monitor to see it on.

Another item that has changed is that I have been using 16 bit drivers with my printers for several years now and it does help to produce a smoother gradient in things like blue skies. The 8 bit limitation for higher end printers went away years ago but still plagues consumer models.

JRW makes some really good points. And then we start talking about video and color depth gets hammered again.

I did notice that in the Canon website the DPP it referenced 8 or 16 bit jpg or tiffs. I need to double check (that would explain why file size jumps when one uses 100% quality vs. 95%.

I am surprised though on how good many of the pix look an a high def tv at 8 bit.

Looking forward to the continuing advancement in image processing
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I think there will be a 5D Mark IV, as the 5Ds and 5Ds R were specifically mentioned as not being successors to the 5D Mark III.
    Agreed. The only thing that makes me question a 5D IV is Canon's naming history. Granted with have the G17 or 71, whatever that is up too. But I wonder how far they will take names before trying to mix it up. Quick example is the combination of the 1DIV and 1DxIII into the 1Dx. I suspect there will be a camera named 5D IV, but I do wonder after that.

But that is just a name, I can absolutely see Canon continuing the purpose based FF camera lineup that they currently have:
    • 1D (>$5k)---Large, premium, professional body
    • 5D ($3-4k upon release)---More affordable event/wedding oriented body. A few compromises in fps, build quality, etc from the 1D, but still very robust. Aimed at professionals and amateurs with too much money on their hands...oops, I mean, "dedicated enthusiasts"
    • 6D ($1,800-$2,200 upon release)--Entry level FF. Professional IQ but enthusiast everything else.

The only reason I see Canon collapsing any of these series is if the price points converge.

I agree with your synopsis Brant except it always seemed odd to me that the premier 1D series body doesn't have all the features of the lower level series. For example the 1Dx does not have in camera HDR, silent shooting mode, WiFi or GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I agree with your synopsis Brant except it always seemed odd to me that the premier 1D series body doesn't have all the features of the lower level series. For example the 1Dx does not have in camera HDR, silent shooting mode, WiFi or GPS.
    I've wondered about that too. My conclusion has been that Canon doesn't treat the 1D series like a high end luxury car which tend to have new features included there and no place else as a way of selling those vehicles. Rather, Canon does not seem to release high end features in the 1D series. It tries out new features in other bodies. WiFi/GPS---powershots and then the 6D. HDR, the 5DIII. DPAF (which is rumored to be coming to the 1Dx II), the 70D. The silent shooting mode I think is a function of the mirror mechanism. Likely a compromise between fps and how silent they could get the mirror.

I think the 1D series gets features that are not only tested, but proven in other systems and that will flawlessly perform for a long long time. Unlike cars, Canon does not want people coming in to service the 1D series. They just want it to work.

That is my thought. Who knows if it is correct.

With the exception of silent mode, all those are options can be created with software and accessories. Most likely these functions can be done better by those accessories and software. It is a Pro camera made for professionals, possibly Canon thinks that someone looking for that level of performance wouldn't be looking for the limited versatility of in house HDR.
    Also it is not designed as the top studio camera, now that honor goes to the 5Ds. Landscape and high mp goes to the 5Ds R.
    It is designed as a high speed, fail resistant, weather tight work horse that is best suited for outdoor action and brutal conditions.

Canon seems to overlook the wildlife photographer with the 1Dx. Perhaps there is not enough interest in that field for Canon to pay attention. Wildlife photogs need the camera described above, and we need silent mode. No matter how well the camera performs if your subject runs away when the jackhammer of a shutter goes off you have no pictures to take.

One of my pet peeves are all in one tools, they almost always never perform at the highest level for any one function.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    It does have a silent shooting mode, or at least the menus provide said option, "S" drive mode. I'll fully acknowledge that it's not much quieter than normal, notably less quieter than the silent mode in the earlier 1D/1Ds bodies or the 5D3. Regardless, it IS there. I suspect it's just a "management fail" in trying to bring higher speeds on a FF mirror, and the tradeoffs given the piece count predicted couldn't be overcome as well as hoped. (Canon probably has to custom-design the motor to move the mirror, then somebody has to custom-build them. Money to make the silent mode hit expectations probably ran out early, or the budget for that line item got robbed to keep something else on schedule, etc.)
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Canon seems to overlook the wildlife photographer with the 1Dx. Perhaps there is not enough interest in that field for Canon to pay attention. Wildlife photogs need the camera described above, and we need silent mode. No matter how well the camera performs if your subject runs away when the jackhammer of a shutter goes off you have no pictures to take.
    I suspect Canon thinks the 7D2 or 5Ds[R] are more of what the wildlife photographer will buy anyway.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.