Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: D800, done it, anybody else??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle View Post
    I read this post yesterday, and keep wondering the same thing. If you've been waiting for years for Canon to fix the low-ISO problem, why give up now, possibly within days of knowing if the next rev (5DIII and or 1DX) shows improvement?
    Not very rational, was it? I guess I just got caught up in the emotional aspect of it.

As it turns out, I think it was the right choice. I found some raw files today that confirm the 5D3 still has a significant temporal FPN problem:

http://www.kleptography.com/dl/5diii/raw/02.cr2

http://www.kleptography.com/dl/5diii/raw/

They will open in rawdigger.

Even thought you have moved to the dark side, we will still talk to you.

PS: The reason why I first went Canon was the glass, the IQ from Canon is streets ahead.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    PS: The reason why I first went Canon was the glass, the IQ from Canon is streets ahead.
    Although the range is a bit split, they've both got some the other side doesn't.
    Nikon has the 200-400 (canon has a piece of paper), and the 14-24 (canon's stuck with primes or sigma).
    But then canon's got the 1200/5.6L (because we can all afford one of them), the TS-Es and the MP-E.
    Nikon's got some nice macro bellows like the PB-6 with swing-control, but then, canon can use them too via adapter.

I think the best part about canon is that you can use more nikon lenses via adapter than nikons themselves can use (ever seen that big lens/camera compatibility matrix at Ken Rockwell?)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I'm with you Daniel- the only thing I don't understand is why *I* don't do it.

(Mostly, too invested in canon glass which I love, and the "star killer" is a real killer since I like to do astro.)

You've got me thinking, Daniel. But switch, I'd have to sell the following canon lenses: 16-35 f/2.8 II, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 24-105 f/4 IS, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 65 MP-E, 85 f/1.2 II, 100 f/2.8 IS macro, and 135 f/2. I wouldn't have to replace them all (there is no counterpart to the 65 anyhow), but Nikon glass is not cheap. I figure I'd lose more than the price of a 5DIII just in making the switch... I'm really sort of stuck.

(24 disk raid? Sounds excessive to me, but I guess I'm a lightweight... )

You've got me thinking, Daniel. But switch, I'd have to sell the following canon lenses: 16-35 f/2.8 II, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 24-105 f/4 IS, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 65 MP-E, 85 f/1.2 II, 100 f/2.8 IS macro, and 135 f/2.
    Plus flashes. It's a big hassle and expense. I only had 4 lenses and 2 flashes but it still takes forever.

, but Nikon glass is not cheap.
    You can say that again, although Canon has been catching up to them in price on some lenses (e.g. 70-200 II).

(24 disk raid? Sounds excessive to me, but I guess I'm a lightweight... )
    Yeah, I do video at least as much as photo, lots of 30-50 MB/s that I record direct from uncompressed 1080p off my XH-A1, and at the current 16 TB I'm running out of space. I'm looking forward to the uncompressed HDMI out on the D800.

Aghhhhhh, nooooo.
    You better not stop posting here, Daniel.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Aghhhhhh, nooooo.
    You better not stop posting here, Daniel.
    Definitely not. The only difference is that now all of my posts will consist of Canon bashing and Nikon fanboyism.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
    Definitely not. The only difference is that now all of my posts will consist of Canon bashing and Nikon fanboyism.
    That cracked me up. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.

Congratz on the new camera.

I hope you can find a friend who has the 5D III so you can give us a side by side comparison.
    I think what you will miss the most is the Canon glass. Overall IMO the glass really plays a bigger part than the body.

Good luck Daniel! An old forum-member, Rodger, converted to Nikon with a D700 a while back. At that time there was no 5D3 in the picture and to be honest, the D700 did attract me as well It's a big step to take though. I hope you can find your way in the Nikon way. I'm looking forward to some Canon bashing(wasn't that already the case in a lot of your posts?) and most definitely the Nikon fanboyism What's gonna happen with the bar stories now?