Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Sigma Lenses...Excited?

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    I was at a photo shoot this weekend that was sponsored by sigma. I asked the Sigma rep if the 70-200 f2.8 was weather sealed. He said none of the Sigma lenses were weather sealed. I looked the 120-300 up in their catalog and it does not say anything about weather sealing.
    Did you see this mentioned somewhere?
    "This lens, like the other Sports category lenses to come, is dust and moisture resistant, and allows users to adjust the focus speed and the focus limiter via a button on the lens."
    says: Photorumors

But no, can't find it on Sigma's website though...
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 09-19-2012 at 02:40 AM.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    I was at a photo shoot this weekend that was sponsored by sigma. I asked the Sigma rep if the 70-200 f2.8 was weather sealed. He said none of the Sigma lenses were weather sealed. I looked the 120-300 up in their catalog and it does not say anything about weather sealing.
    Did you see this mentioned somewhere?
    As mentioned by the Doc, I am talking about the newly announced as yet unreleased lenses. The old 120-300 was released in February last year they have updated to the one below, it was only announced on Tuesday and has not been released yet. Dust and moisture resistant probably isn't as good as weather sealed, but it is a lot better than what they had and in reality would probably be good enough for most shooters. I think this new version will be a serious competitor with the Canon 300/2.8, definitely winning on price and versatility and probably going very close with IQ. Big call, but we'll wait and see.

35mm F1.4 DG HSM – This Art lens provides photographers with a state-of-the-art alternative to the more conventional 50mm. This lens’ axial chromatic aberration is minimized, which renders a cool and smooth out-of-focus image. At low apertures, it can perform like a wide-angle lens; when opened up to F1.4, it will provide background bokeh and make the subject pop like a mid-range telephoto lens. 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM – With redesigned mechanics and performance, this Sports lens is an update from its predecessor released in February 2011. This high-performance lens eases difficult shooting conditions by offering a maximum focal length of 300mm and a wide-open aperture of F2.8. This lens, like the other Sports category lenses to come, is dust and moisture resistant, and allows users to adjust the focus speed and the focus limiter via a button on the lens.

Worth considering if you want to save close to $4000 and that 35/1.4 looks pretty sweet as well.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

If I had the $, I would be all over these Sigma lenses when they are released!

I've owned (and sold) alot of glass including many "L" lenses and I have to say, the two lenses I miss the most is the Sigma 85mm and the Sigma 150mm OS macro. Once I did a correct MA on the 150mm, it was fantastic! I look at photos that I took with the Canon 100mm IS L macro next to my photos taken with the Sigma 105mm OS macro, the Sigma 150mm OS macro and the Sigma 70mm macro, and I don't see that the Sigma shots are inferior. The Sigma 70mm was probably the sharpest lens I ever owned next to the Canon TS-E 90mm which was very sharp, I just did not like the slowness of the 70mm. I've compared my shots taken with my Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.8 II and the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and again do not find the Sigma shots inferior. I am also very satisfied with the Sigma lenses I own now. Call me crazy but I am happier with my Sigma 50-150mm OS than I was with either of the two copies I had of the Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS. My Canon 17-55mm IS vs. my Tamron 17-50mm vs. my Sigma 17-50mm OS, I'm just as happy with my Siggy as I was with my Canon. I suppose if you pixel peep my shots, maybe the Canon shots come out on top but for normal viewing, I'm happy with my photos taken with my Sigma's. Any discontent would be in my skill rather than the glass. IMO - Sigma has come a long way and is still living down a past reputation of being godawful.

Yep, I have had to return a Sigma to get a better copy but I also have had to return "L" glass to get a better copy. Would I rather return a Sigma and save $$$$, you betcha! Weather-sealing? Nice to have but I don't necessarily need it for the price you pay for it. Dust and moisture resistance will be icing on the cake.

So for what it's worth, my opinion is that the new Siggy's are definitely worth taking a closer look at.

The major selling point, to me, is the USB dock:

• Being able to change AF parameters on the lens is great, especially if used with bodies without AFMA. This seems to ideally suit the target market of the 17-70. For the pricier lenses or better bodies, heck, depending how they've done it, it might even be better than the in-body AFMA: e.g. 1Dx style rather than 7D.
    • Self-upgradable lens firmware. Anyone investing $$$$ in a 120-300 f/2.8 can have some confidence that if there is an issue with future bodies, the lens can be upgraded to suit.

Of course, it helps that they look the part, too. If they do an update of the 70-200 f/2.8 in the new style, with USB, I'd be sorely tempted.