Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "...You must have a really great camera!"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I understand the frustration -- especially for those of you who, like Sean, invest such time and energy into all the details....setting up lighting for 2 hours before a shoot, staking out the best time and location for a sunrise, elaborate hummingbird attractions, etc.

I even hear this about my photos sometimes, and I am not half the photographer of many who frequent this forum. The comment makes sense to me even though it can be insulting. Unlike cooking or painting, where the tools the pros use are quite similar to the amateur's, photography gear is an immediate distinguishing factor that looks so conspicuously different and "pro." Put a 7D with an EF 100L macro in my hands, and I can do things with a camera that the point and shoot crowd can only dream of. Yes, I've invested lots of time learning how to use the camera and lens, and I am not short changing myself. But all the skill in the world won't make a Canon PowerShot equal to a _D/100L macro combination. The same is true for depth of field. Shoot a portrait at f/2 with the EF 85 f/1.8, and your result will be dramatically different than what the photography masses can produce. That's what people are reacting too. They know enough to appreciate the difference in gear. They know that the gear really matters on some level, even if they have no idea how much time, skill and effort go into truly great photography.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    Shoot a portrait at f/2 with the EF 85 f/1.8, and your result will be dramatically different than what the photography masses can produce. That's what people are reacting too.
    Maybe. However, when that same photographer shoots an amazing portrait at f/16 (allowing for a DOF comparable to a P&S), I assume the reaction will be similar.

I was showing examples of my photography to someone the other day using my phone. Their eyes lit up as they asked, "Wow! Did you do those with your phone??"

*sigh* Yes, yes I did. But it's a really good phone.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 04-12-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I cannot tell you how many times I hear something like, "Wow, those are fantastic images. You must have a really great camera!"
    +1 - I recognize the comment and know exactly what you mean. Still - as also stated above - the tools do make a difference, but good tools only isn’t enough.

Over time I've also noticed that what really makes people go "Wow!" is some basic post-processing. Many are used to watching 8-12 MPix JPEGs straight out of compact cameras on computer screens and/or TVs. Such images can usually suffer from poor contrast and poor sharpness due to the compressed view. A basic levels/curves adjustment followed by downsizing to 1080 px height and a simple unsharp mask can make wonders for the viewing experience on a TV. I believe that the extra touch that the devoted photographer adds in post processing may make just as much difference for the average viewer as the gear used.

Off topic, I’ve discovered that my jogging shoes have degraded heavily during their stay in the closet over winter - I suppose I have to get better shoes if I want to get back to my average kilometer pace from last October.

Quote Originally Posted by cls View Post
    I’ve discovered that my jogging shoes have degraded heavily during their stay in the closet over winter - I suppose I have to get better shoes if I want to get back to my average kilometer pace from last October.
    Better shoes will help you run further and faster.

The same person that offers these types of compliments, asks me to “zoom” in on something 500 yards away using my 24mm F/1.4.

I really hope you’re not serious about the rant. The individual that pay’s these types of compliments are offering them in sincerity (usually, see comment below). If we receive a compliment like this, and we show that it bothers us to the person offering we can come off looking like the Diva that needs the snickers bar on the snickers commercial.

But do consider the source; if you and I were out in the field taking pictures together and I worded the comment that way, I wouldn’t be surprised if you told me where I could place one of my long telephoto lenses. In fact I would probably be expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I really hope you’re not serious about the rant. The individual that pay’s these types of compliments are offering them in sincerity (usually, see comment below).
    The rant is mostly in jest, but there is humor in the truth it reveals. Mainly, that people believe that all you need to be a good photographer is "...a good camera".

The rant is mostly in jest, but there is humor in the truth it reveals. Mainly, that people believe that all you need to be a good photographer is "...a good camera".
    "P" for professional.

My wife follows Missy MWAC on facebook now.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    "P" for professional.

My wife follows Missy MWAC on facebook now.
    hehehe

I cannot tell you how many times I hear something like, "Wow, those are fantastic images. You must have a really great camera!"

/rant over
    DUH! Doesn't that person know it all done with trick lighting!

Sorry, Sean ...I couldn't resist