Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Come on canon, make a production model EF1200mm f/5.6 IS USM L!

Re: Come on canon, make a production model EF1200mm f/5.6 IS USM L!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Buy a 800mm and crop the image to 1200mm, less cost, lessweight and better optics.

Good point. In fact, canon should just throw out its entire telephoto lineup. People who want reach are obviously best served by just buying a 50mm lens and cropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Good point. In fact, canon should just throw out its entire telephoto lineup. People who want reach are obviously best served by just buying a 50mm lens and cropping.

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    Ha,Ha!! I'v done that!!

Nice idea! Just one tiny little thing that comes in the way - how much would it be?

If for $3,000, sure, I'll get it even I don't need it at all. But if it's comes at a price which you can easily buy a little house, then NO, completely not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

Nice idea! Just one tiny little thing that comes in the way - how much would it be?

If for $3,000, sure, I'll get it even I don't need it at all. But if it's comes at a price which you can easily buy a little house, then NO, completely not necessary.

I was thinking something more like $30,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yeah, maybe a little house is too much. But the one right now selling at B&amp;H used is a wholly $120,000!!![:|] I just can't think of any circumstance that I might confront to thirst for this lens as much as I would pay $120,000 for it - not even if I were a multi-millionaire. Considering the rather ridiculous price, there're surely better alternatives. i.g. getting the 800/5.6L IS lens for free in conparison, add a 1.4x converter results in almost the same focal length and it remains AF on 1 series bodies. Buying a 600/4L IS and add 2x concerter results in exactly the same focal length and AF on 1 series bodies, IQ may suffer though but still, can't imagine the difference to be worth $100,000...

That would be cool; maybe they could also develop a 500/5.6L IS USM as a low-cost wideangle lens. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

Yeah, maybe a little house is too much. But [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/116642-USA/Canon_2527A001_Super_Telephoto_1200mm_f_5_6L.html]the one[/url] right now selling at B&amp;H used is a wholly $120,000!!![img]/emoticons/emotion-8.gif[/img] I just can't think of any circumstance that I might confront to thirst for this lens as much as I would pay $120,000 for it - not even if I were a multi-millionaire. Considering the rather ridiculous price, there're surely better alternatives. i.g. getting the 800/5.6L IS lens for free in conparison, add a 1.4x converter results in almost the same focal length and it remains AF on 1 series bodies. Buying a 600/4L IS and add 2x concerter results in exactly the same focal length and AF on 1 series bodies, IQ may suffer though but still, can't imagine the difference to be worth $100,000...

$120,000 is totally unjustifiable. $30,000 is still extremely expensive, but, if youneed the ultimate reach it is still not totally ridiculus! What I would like to see is Canon introduce it for $30,000 and get pro's buying it and then lower the price to mabye $15,000.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSierra

And I'd like a 10-500mm 1.8....how about it!? [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

It would of course have to have IS, weigh less than 500gand cost less than $1,000 before I'd be interested[]

Oh, and throw in weather sealing as well.........

Jon,

They call it a non 1D body = 800mm goes to a 1280mm

Quote Originally Posted by Bob

Jon,

They call it a non 1D body = 800mm goes to a 1280mm

Sorry for being so obtuse [^o)], but I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.