Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY remote flash triggering

Re: DIY remote flash triggering

It's been done before, they call 'em Radiopoppers. I was aware of the product but not how it worked. It's pretty much exactly what I was picturing. Well at least I know what I want now.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

LOL

Yes, but they're also $250 per unit. That's pretty hefty in my opinion. Certainly worth it if you need it and are making big bucks shooting weddings, events, etc. But too much for my blood.

What's the most cost effective option that you would recomend?

(I'm sure you've made a suggestion before but I'd rather not go digging for it. I realize it would be mannual only.)
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Radiopopper PX and the new Pocketwizard Flex & Mini units are the only ones that work with ETTL. When it comes to manual triggering, Cybersyncs are the best buy for the money, in my opinion. I've owned a couple of ebay triggering devices (Cactus V2s, CTR-301), but Cybersyncs are substantially cheaper than Pocketwizards, yet are just as reliable. They work up to (and maybe a little farther than) a football field away. Pocketwizards will give you more range, but they cost substantially more. I don't need more than the 300ft range of Cybersyncs, and most likely never will. I've been completely happy with the set I purchased in April. In fact, soon enough I'll purchase another receiver and another trigger as backup.