Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speck of dirt in Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM Lens.

Re: Speck of dirt in Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM Lens.

<span style="font-family: Arial; color: black; font-size: 12pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: +mj-ea; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-color-index: 1; mso-font-kerning: 12.0pt; language: en-US;"]Another point about dust or a glass defect, does the defect's light path actual land on or offthe image sensor?

<span style="font-family: Arial; color: black; font-size: 12pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: +mj-ea; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-color-index: 1; mso-font-kerning: 12.0pt; language: en-US;"]
    The lens will focus a circle image onto the back of the camera sensor's area, but only a rectangle area will land on the sensor itself, so the area off the sensor never gets captured in the photo.

<span style="font-family: Arial; color: black; font-size: 12pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: +mj-ea; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-color-index: 1; mso-font-kerning: 12.0pt; language: en-US;"]The resale inspection of the defect may cause an issue, buttaking an actual image with the lens should put the issue to rest.

I've taken multiple images and I cannot for the life of me locate the *particle* in the photo even taking an image of a white sheet of paper - it's simply not there.

The particle in question isso tiny that any Joe off the street cannot locate it unless I point it out to them.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

I, like others, have high standards and expectations with "L" glass and as such after dishing out some serious coin, I was, frankly, irked that something like this has occurred, but hey, crap happens. Unless I can see it in the image, I'll continue to happily snap away!

Cheers.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams