Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Critique! New photos with my new 300mm f/4!

Re: Please Critique! New photos with my new 300mm f/4!

What wickerprints said.

I don't have, nor have ever used that lens, so just substitute his kick ass pictures to use as mine as well.[8-|]

Here's a new one from today:

EOS 7D + 300/4 L IS USM, f/4.5, 1/640, ISO 400. Manual Exposure, Handheld.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_1078.jpg[/img]

Hey Burns223,

Images are a little underexposed in my opinion. Also, looking at the bird feeder, I think you either A. missed the focus or B. the lens needs to be adjusted. I think the DOF is just behind the subject in the above picture. The 7D should have the capability to micro adjust the lens if indead this is the problem. I had to adjust some of my new lenses up to +6.

Stephen

Just took a look at this post, somehow your first 3images didn't load.

Your last image is underexposed by at least 2 stops and the feeder is a big distraction, it's too big compares to the bird and it's positioned infront of the bird. Just shoot more, practice, practice and you'll get better.[]

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    Just took a look at this post, somehow your first 3images didn't load.

fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

Your last image is underexposed by at least 2 stops and the feeder is a big distraction, it's too big compares to the bird and it's positioned infront of the bird. Just shoot more, practice, practice and you'll get better.[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Good luck

thanks! Will try this tomorrow. []

brendan

I know you are looking for more skilled critiquing than I can give you but from a total amateur point of view I think with this being your first test runyour photos are awesome, especially thefirst two! I did the same thing yesterday, scouted my backyard for birds but I think it was too cold even for the birds! I did get this one below and it is nowhere near as good as yours, so I am highly envious! A few less tree branches in my way would have helped and I guess the white glare at the bottom is snow!The other oneI took downby Lake Michigan. Hopefully, I get this all figured out before spring!Oh well, I still love what I'm doing ...or trying to do! []

Denise

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_6491best.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_5130.JPG[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    scouted my backyard for birds but I think it was too cold even for the birds!

It may seem that way, but birds only have to keep a body temp. of 75º F and have plenty of down so they are very resistant to cold. I completely understand what you mean: I live in Pennsylvania and right now it is 9ºF, so not warm here either. I would try putting a feeder in your yard. They are easy to take care of and believe me, that in three days you will be mobbed with birds. Ideally put one just outside a big window so you don't have to go outside (just open the window!)

A few less tree branches in my way would have helped and I guess the white glare at the bottom is snow

I am always fighting these two factors. If branches are a problem, get a different angle. If snow, clouds, sun, etc. are obscuring, just change the white balance. this will help. []

one last one for today (my hands are freezing off)

I know, the birdfeeder is distracting... but I love the two-tone bokeh.

Canon 7D, 300mm f/4l is usm, f/4, 1/800, ISO 800. taken at 7:56AM this morning.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_1226.jpg[/img]

brendan

I think with this being your first test runyour photos are awesome, especially thefirst two!

thanks! I am as much (if not more) of a newbie as you at this and TDP is a real help...

Filling the birdfeeder and buying all that seed is starting to pay off.

This is a much improved photo I think, just on the white balance alone. I don't mind the composition either, though it might be better if made centered and symmetrical. Some people like asymmetry, and it works well in a lot of cases, but that doesn't mean every photo has to be asymmetrical or obey some crazy rule of thirds.

This is going to be a bit more advanced but if you have a Speedlite, you can put it off camera, bounce it off an umbrella, and fill in the shadow on the right side of the feeder. I used this technique to get a nice soft modeling on my hummingbird shots. The great thing about the 7D is that the built-in flash has master capability. However, you may need to gel your Speedlite if you do this. And yet, there's something to be said for the light/dark contrast in this image. I like that there is a directionality to the lighting, it gives a sense of the morning atmosphere along with the warm tones of the background...the overall effect is very pleasing. I also like that you did not choose to obscure the feeder.

Have you tried experimenting with how slow you can make your shutter before the subject's motion becomes blurred? I get the sense that you can lower your ISO by at least 1 full stop. I often find myself prioritizing aperture and ISO over shutter speed, although I must admit I tend to miss shots this way. But when I do hit it, I get some very nice, sharp, usable images. If only there were a way to set up the camera so that I can fix one setting (say, f-number), meter the scene, and the camera will automatically vary the shutter/ISO in quick succession; e.g., 1/100 @ ISO 100, then 1/200 @ ISO 200, then 1/400 @ ISO 400, etc., in half- or third-stop increments. Or you could pick a fixed ISO and the camera would vary the f-number and shutter speed. That would be AWESOME. Because with the way digital sensors work now, sensitivity is just as easy to adjust as f-number and shutter speed.

thanks for all that great advice. much appreciated.

brendan