Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon Macro Twin Lite vs. Ring Lite - which is better?

Re: Canon Macro Twin Lite vs. Ring Lite - which is better?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    It's built for ultimate macro work, which involves very narrow apertures (f11,f14 etc) and non-handholdable (even with IS) shutter speeds.

I don't understand this. How is shutter speed an issue if the flash is providing the light?

brain fart. my bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    Well, the macro twin lite is used mostly forextreme closeups.

If you believe that, then the twin isn't appropraite with the 100mm macro

Unless you are shooting an extreme closeup the difference between a 580 II and a twin lite is small IMO. Food for thought [I]

brendan

Well, four months after posting this original thread, I finally made my purchase! I bought the Canon MR-14EX Ring Lite. I received the lite yesterday and the adapter & end cap today. Since it was rather gloomy outside when I got home from work this evening I couldn't wait to try it out! I must say, I absolutely LOVE it!!! Best gadget purchase I've made so far! I have well over 50 varieties of flowers in my gardens and many are in bloom now so I had plenty to choose from to photograph!

I've never used the twin lite so I don't know how they compare but if you are thinking of purchasing one or the other ...I suggest saving yourself a few hundred $ and try out the ring lite first.

Denise

Great question Denise. I'm all about the macro in both photography and video. As a tangent to your question, how bad would it be to use two regular flashes instead of getting the twin/ring light? Any ideas guys?

I think it would work just fine Mike (and I've done it at times) but you need to get in pretty close to eliminate any shadows off your camera gear. It would work well for objects that don't move but I'd imagine it would be hard for insects and stuff that move around a bit.

That is unless you make something portable like this guy I've been following on flickr for a while [:P]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoopa_hs/4351166939/in/set-72157622681513885/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoopa_hs/3636467040/in/set-72157611107153997/

Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

That looks pretty awesome Ben! I wish I was that creative in designing creative stuff...

Maybe I will just have to save up for the light...Though I'm a stickler for fancy stuff so I'll probably end up saving up for the Twin Light.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    Great question Denise. I'm all about the macro in both photography and video. As a tangent to your question, how bad would it be to use two regular flashes instead of getting the twin/ring light?

The ease of mobility is a major plus for my outdoor photography! I suppose if I were just taking photos of my flowers, I could set up two light stands when I am using my tripod but of course for moving objects, not possible. Also, in my main flower garden, there is barely enough room for my feet in there & definitely no room for a tripodand/orlightstands! When I go back to theChicago Botanic Gardens using the ring lite is going to be awesome!! I have also triedusing myside brackets and I prefer my ring lite 100% more!

Denise

Everyone here makes me want to spend way more money than I can possibly fathom!

Welcome to my world...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I keep telling to myself that I don't need anything more now for the coming year....

....it's hard to ignore some haha [:P]

Have fun with your ringlite Denise, I love to see some pictures!

Not too good please or I will have to buy one myself [:P]