Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EF 300mm f/4L IS USM or EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM?

Re: EF 300mm f/4L IS USM or EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Also with nature photography I assume you mean: long walks or hikes trough nature and shooting whatever ends up in front of you? Not sitting still waiting for subjects to enter your frame.

Yes...not planning on setting up a bird feeder in the garden with a tripod on the deck...

And I assume you've also got something like a 17-55 to do the wideangled shots?

Yes, I have the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, and for times when that's not wide enough, also the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

A 100-400 would complete your collection I think.

Complete my collection (of lenses)? I had no idea that was even possible! [:P]

A 100-400 would complete your collection I think.

300mm will give you better IQ perhaps, but I don't know about that and I guess the 100-400 gives you good quality as well

At f/4.0, the 300 is as sharp as the 100-400 is at f/5.6 at 400mm. If using for treks, the 300mm is lighter and I think its closefocusing ability is invaluable. It also gives far better bokeh and autofocuses faster. If you have a 200mm prime and don't need the 400mm focal length because you don't shoot a ton of birds, Why not go for the 300mm?

I had the 70-200 and a lot of times 200mm is really too short for wildlife.

Or you weren't close enough. You can get close with your feet instead of big glass. [pi]

John, both are nice lenses. I don't think you can go wrong either way. My vote is for the 300 f/4.

brendan

Haha John no I stated it wrong...I meant: add to your already nice collection [A] Your still missing a lot of important lenses in my opinion. No photographer can do without at least owning one 500-1200mm prime [:P]

Back to reality: Yup Brendan I wasn't close enough. But as I stated and John admitted: he's not going to sit still and wait for a picture. In a lot of circumstances you simply can't get closer! For instance if you spot a bird of prey, you must be really carefull to come within 10m/300ft with it. When you have had a 70-200 like me, even at 200mm you have to crop A LOT to gain a nice picture. It's not called wildlife for no reason.

And the statement that a 400mm lens is a bird in flight lens? I don't really get that. I guess it's for birders only. I've seen some amazing shots from Nate with his 500mm and those were not in flight.

Also the closefocussing of the 300mm prime is only 30cm less than the 100-400. And in those cases he could better switch to his macro anyway.

So in my opinion I stay with the big advantage of the zoom vs the prime for these types of photography. I'm convinced that the 300mm is a great lens but just for the fact that I've never seen a journalist shooting with a prime, doesn't mean he couldn't...it's just not working for that type of photography where you need to be versatile and you don't really get a second chance most of the time.

Maybe if your doubt stays John, try to rent them both. Or just try out the 100-400 in mint condition that you saw. If you like it...go for it!

Good luck mate.

Jan

Well, sigh. I had decided on the 100-400mm, for the flexibility of the zoom - wandering around with my 200mm prime has convinced me that a zoom will be more useful for me. But sadly, the guy who listed it for $1100 changed his mind and decided to keep it (fortunately before I drove the 40 miles to pick it up!).

Thanks all for your input!

And the statement that a 400mm lens is a bird in flight lens? I don't really get that. I guess it's for birders only.

That's because it's light, slow and doesn't have IS. In many situations, there's just not enough light to use it effectively. But for BIF, it's perfect. The 500 f/4 is longer (so better for birds), has IS, and can let in twice as much light. That's the difference.

So in my opinion I stay with the big advantage of the zoom vs the prime for these types of photography.

Hah! I was thinking the exact opposite. Oh well, that's basically a matter of personal preference.

Cheers

brendan

Thanks Brendan that explains the BIF lensquestion I had [:P]

Yeah it's probably a personal preference, but in't it always?

I dislike primes while hiking etc, especially long primes (200mm+), for the fact that if you don't like your composition you have to step back/forward a lot to seriously change your composition which isn't always possible because of obstructions or just shortage of time.

John, I'm sorry to hear that your deal didn't work out. Have you someway made up your mind concerning lens choice?

Jan

Hi Jan,

Yes, I've pretty much settled on the 100-400mm, mainly for the reason you just stated - the difficulty of 'sneaker-zoom' with a telephoto lens. Even though I'm something of an aperture junkie, after spending some time with my EF 200mm f/2.8L, I've decided to trade a bit of speed for the flexibility of the zoom. Most of my shots with the 200mm prime have been at f/5 or higher with room to spare on shutter speed, except for portraits of my daughter at f/2.8 for the thin DOF, but I'll still have the prime for that sort of thing.

I'm not in a huge rush - I don't expect to start hiking and shooting with the lens until May or so, so I've got a couple of months to watch for a bargain on a used lens (or change my mind??). If nothing comes up, I'll just buy a new one. Spending well over $1K on a lens, I'd probably be more comfortable with a warranty in any case.

--John

Yea I guess the max aperture of f5.6 will challenge you at darker days, but I think the flexibility will compensate for that. And you've got like the best portrait lens for the money you can buy! The 200mm f2.8L is the best secret lens canon has I think []

Well good luck with your search for a good bargain. Love to see some shots later this year!

Jan

Hi John,

This lens is very sharp and it is good enough to shoot a hovering bee. Please see here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5471665/4315036281/

oops..sorry, I meant the 300 f/4 IS.... []