Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Outing with 17-55/2.8

Re: First Outing with 17-55/2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

I used the Lab color mode for the adjustment layer. I increased the a and b channels slope to bring out the color, then adjusted the overall luminosity, and erased portions of the layer to restore detail in the shadows, while lowering the overexposure. The image looked washed out, and curves (especially, Lab curves) can do a great job in this sort of recovery.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Is there a good resource here or elsewhere on the web to help me understand post processing? I do not understand or know how to do anything mentioned by Alan. I have DPP of course, and Elements 6 because it came with the printer. It is highly unlikely I will spend the money on CS4, but Elements 8 is a strong possibility.

Thanks for the continued feedback. I just posted my 28-135 for sale to help fund a 70-200 f4. Feel free to help me upgrade [:P]

Alan

TucsonTRD, the method I used is from the full version of CS4 (curves, Lab color mode) which is not available in Elements, but there is plenty you can do to with Elements, to correct images.

If you do plan on getting PSE 8, pick up a book by Scott Kelby, called The Photoshop Elements 8 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices that Matter).

Kelby does a very good job describing many methods of color corrections, adjustments, etc. He describes them in simple terms, and provides many examples. He tends to insert his quirky humor while he goes through the lessons, but it's all designed to keep you interested in the topic at hand.

I'd also suggest downloading GIMP. GIMP is a free image editor that is much like Photoshop, although it's a bit less user-friendly (if you're used to Photoshop, that is). It's certainly worth playing around with.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

TucsonTRD, the method I used is from the full version of CS4 (curves, Lab color mode) which is not available in Elements, but there is plenty you can do to with Elements, to correct images.

If you do plan on getting PSE 8, pick up a book by Scott Kelby, called The Photoshop Elements 8 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices that Matter).

Kelby does a very good job describing many methods of color corrections, adjustments, etc. He describes them in simple terms, and provides many examples. He tends to insert his quirky humor while he goes through the lessons, but it's all designed to keep you interested in the topic at hand.

Alan,

Thanks for the suggestion on the book. I'll look into it when I decide to get better editing software.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I'd also suggest downloading GIMP. GIMP is a free image editor that is much like Photoshop, although it's a bit less user-friendly (if you're used to Photoshop, that is). It's certainly worth playing around with.

Sean,

I actually already have downloaded GIMP. It is overwhelming for me and I think I need to work my way up to it. Are there any good tutorial type books or articles on using GIMP?

Try the GIMP tutorials.