Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refurbished Equipment

Re: Refurbished Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by pilotdane

Well, this refurbished discussion finally pushed me over the edge. I've been avoiding the 17-55 f2.8 for years and I just broke down and ordered a refurbished one. Hopefully I will have a good experience to add to this thread in a week or so.

I'm not far behind you. With everyone praising the 17-55 on a goldenpedestal, it's so very tempting to push the "Purchase" button. Let me/us know how it turns out, though I'm sure I already know the answer to that. :P

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Adorama's price on the refurb is the same as the price of a new copy from

that's true, their price of refurb has been not that attractive for a while, shopping around before you buy.people tend to go with those "reputable" stores because they are scare of those "bad" stores, one of the reason those "reputable" stores can keep rising their price is because most of us are scare of those bad one. I believe there are stores in between, offer better price(reasonable cheaper) with good service. we should give them a try not only just because we can save some bucks but also help having more competition in order to get more reasonable price in the future.

"

I attempted to get an refurbed EF 50mm f/1.4 USM from Adorama a couple of times but settled for an refurbed EF 50mm f/1.8 II. It was like new.

I Picked up three refurbish 430EXs, over the course of a year and a half, all from Adorama and found all of them to be like new.

I then tried to get a refurbed 70-200mm f/2.8 L from Adorama but gave up after two failed attempts and purchased a new one from B&H.

I recently purchased, from Adorama, a used "V" grade 580EX and found it to be exactly as described. I'm happy enough I plan to buy more used gear from them.

My only gripe with refurbished (or used for that matter) orders from Adorama is that it takes a few days to know if you really got it or not. They don't, apparently, have their site set up to stop taking orders when the items are accounted for, I find it frustrating.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I ordered the lens from Adorama June 30 and with their standard free shipping it arrived Friday July 2 in time to try it out over the holiday weekend. The box is not the usual Canon retail packaging but a white refurbished box. The lens inside looks new. No dust inside or out and not a scratch or scuff mark anywhere on the exterior, save a little gold sticker on the base cap that says "refurbished".

Adorama's refurbished price was $899.95 and both Adorama and B&H have the lens new for $1'079.

My only regret is not ordering a lens hood. I've borrowed the hood from my 24-105 but a hood for each lens would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotdane
    My only regret is not ordering a lens hood. I've borrowed the hood from my 24-105 but a hood for each lens would be nice.

Get theEW-83Jhood. In fact, you'd be better off using theEW-83J, designed for the EF-S 17-55mm, on both of the lenses. The EW-83H hood, designed for the 24-105mm, is shallower, since it's designed for shading the FF image area. When using an EF lens on a 1.6x crop body, the hood designed for that EF lens is much less useful (still better than not using one at all, though). Using the hood designed for the 17-55mm, but on the 24-105mm on a 1.6x crop body, you'll get better blockage of stray light, and no optical vignetting from the deeper hood, even at 24mm.

I bought the 17-55 refurbished last August from Adorama to replace a 17-85 and have never looked back. It seems to be every thing it is said to be and performs as such. Looked new except for the sticker and cam in a regular canon box. Just looked up the price & it was $846 & the new at the time was just over a grand if memory services me right. As with most things you have to look for deals from reputable places.

My .02

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Just remember, whenever possible, to buy by clicking through from TDP. Bryan gets support for the site this way. I don't know how specific you have to be, but if, for example, you were going to buy a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, you go to the review, click "Buy", and it will take you to the product directly, and TDP gets a small piece to help keep the site running. I don't know what would happen if you browsed away from that and bought something else, even from the same site, so I have been trying to be very vigilant about my process as described. Clarification might be in order from Bryan on this.

<div class="NewsDayName"]I always look for, and purchase, my[url="http://www.adorama.com/refby.tpl?refby=rflaid041619&amp;sstring=Canon%20R efurbished]Refurbished[/url]gear using a link from the "Canon News" portion of the site, I.E: </div>
    <div class="NewsDay"]
    <div class="NewsPost"]</div>
    <div class="NewsDayName"]
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Digital-Picture.com/Canon-News/
    </div>
    <div class="NewsDayName"]Sunday, June 27, 2010</div>
    <div class="NewsDay"]
    <div class="NewsPostTitle"][url="/forums/News-Post.aspx?News=179&amp;Title=Canon-Refurbished-Inventory-Refreshed]Canon Refurbished Inventory Refreshed[/url]</div>
    <div class="NewsPost"]The [url="http://www.adorama.com/refby.tpl?refby=rflaid041619&amp;sstring=Canon%20R efurbished]Canon Refurbished[/url] inventory at [url="http://www.adorama.com/refby.tpl?refby=rflaid041619&amp;sstring=Canon%20R efurbished]Adorama[/url] has been updated.

There are 113 items showing as available right now (PowerShot models are included in this figure) and most ship for free. You will find many Canon DSLR cameras and lenses available - even including the TS-E 17 L.

Expect like-new gear with a 1 year warranty.</div>
    <div class="NewsPost"]</div>
    <div class="NewsPost"]
    </div>
    <div class="NewsPost"]...butI suspect they can tell the click through came from <span style="color: #000000;"]The-Digital-Picture.com from cookie or other trackinginformation.</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9