Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS USM, and why you want one!

Re: Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS USM, and why you want one!

You sold me![Y] I should have mine in my hands tomorrow late afternoon!! []

Awesome captures!

Denise

Denise,

You are about to be flabbergasted.

I have quite a kit,as do you, and in a few short days it has become my number one.

Congrads on the new glass, and shoot the first week wide open. I will recommend you pay close attention to your background, as it can make or break you. I look forward to some of your pics.

Best

Quote Originally Posted by MacManUS
    I look forward to some of your pics.

Heading to the Chicago Botanic Gardens tomorrow & possibly your way to the Windy City...to bad I won't have it in time and still be able to catch the Metra! []

Denise

Denise

Are you in the chicago Area? If so we should get out and do some shoots.

Here is another I really like

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.61/IMG_5F00_4536.jpg[/img]

I really enjoy the stealth factor on this lens. Best street lens I have ever used.

Actually, on the border in Wisconsin. I guy I work with takes the metra to downtown Chicago sometimes just to spend the day & says I would love it for taking photos. So far, I've only made it as far as the gardens!

The last photo you posted is awesome ...I can't believe I didn't buy this awhile ago!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    You sold me![img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img] I should have mine in my hands tomorrow late afternoon!! [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Haha you're awesome! Congratulations []

Great Photos McManus,

I really like the bird shot the best, it's fantastic.

The results that you are getting with the 7D and that lens are wonderful. I too have the 7D, however I needed the 70-200mm 2.8L II IS version, because I shoot a lot of sports. I see that you have the 200mm 2.8, so that you don't need the 70-200mm 2.8L. But, for others considering this lens that are planning on shooting sports or even adding the 1.4x or 2x converter then they should consider the faster 2.8L version, so they could also afford to lose a stop or two if adding the converters. When you add the$300 1.4x converter, it's almost like buying "2" top quality lens with great flexibility and portability for a total outlay of $2800, because with the 1.4x converter and the 70-200mm 2.8L II the lens maintains "very good" quality up to 280mm f4L II and it creates even more bokeh due to the narrower angle of view and compression, it even comes close to the quality of the 300mm 2.8L prime. I'm not that thrilled with 2x Converter for important quality shots, but otherwise it's fun for the extra reach when needed.

I do agree though, that if you're not shooting action photography, then the 70-200mm f4L IS is a no brainer especially at the prices they are going for now.., $1130 at B&H, WOW...! It also appears that they are giving $100 off of the 2.8L version $2399 for those that are interested, even though there is no instant rebate, Cool....

Keep the photos coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    because with the 1.4x converter and the 70-200mm 2.8L II the lens maintains "very good" quality up to 280mm f4L

I agree - on nice days I use theEF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6<span style="color: red;"]LIS for birds and wildlife...but on rainy days, I use theEF 70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LIS II, often with theEF 1.4x II Extender, for a weather-sealed combination with my 7D. The shot below was with the 70-200mm II + 1.4x, early on a spring morning through a heavy, misty drizzle.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.35.15/Sparrow_2700_s-Landing.jpg[/img]

But, the size and weight of the 70-200mm f/4L IS, combined with excellent IQ, make it a very attractive lens!

Cute Photo!

This little bird almost looks like a Ski Jumper to me, with it's body position; wings (arms) back and it's feet (skis) forward could look like an Olympic Ski Jumper.., No?

Humm..., I guess that's why Ski Jumpers probably study birds to try and fly through the air like this little guy?

Ok, so I have a wild imagination.