Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dear Sean and any other Flash gurus...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Dear Sean and any other Flash gurus...

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    A reflector will help but personally I don't use them often as I tend to just use another light source. They're very convenient though.

They are indeed! I picked up a PhotoFlex Multidisc recently, and it's very versatile. The reversible cover gives you four surfaces - white, silver, gold, soft gold, and with the cover off it's a diffuser. Does well as fill for naturally-lit portraits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

If you're a beginner with off-camera flash, then read through David Hobby's (the Strobist's) Lighting 101. Then, take a gander at my own strobist write-up here. Then, after you're done the reading, take a look at your bank account balance--and decide on a budget number. Your budget will help me (and others) to make appropriate recommendations.

I have been looking for this write-up for a while and haven't taken the time to figure out how to look things up on this new format. Thanks for posing this question and for everyone for replying!

Sean, thanks for the links. I got a little lost in the immensity of David

I'm not against an ST-E2, but honestly, I think it's best to work by manually adjusting power to begin with. That way you can see exactly how your adjustments change exposure--distance, power, modifiers, etc.

If I were in your shoes, I'd start with a pair of used flashes from ebay. However, I'd make sure and get two of the same models (if not the same, very similar). It's just easier when all your adjustments are similar in nature. Look at Nikon SB-24s, SB-28s (and SB-28DXs), SB-80s (& SB-80DXs). If those are running a bit high, then go down to the Vivitar 285HVs. I started out with the 285HVs, and I still turn to them for certain jobs.

For radio triggers, I'd suggest the RF-602s. Everyone raves about them.

I'm currently in a hotel in Verona Virgina (haven't made it all the way to Washington DC yet). I would give my suggestions on umbrella swivels and stands, but they're pretty well covered in my write-up previously posted--and as my girlfriend's laptop battery is about to die...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I'm currently in a hotel in Verona Virgina (haven't made it all the way to Washington DC yet).
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Hope you have some good pics to show after your trip
    Mark

I have radio triggers too for those outside circumstances or where line of site is not happening. But my first preference is the ST-E2. I rarely use it in E-TTL (mostly manual) but it is a great feature to have when time is paramount. I think learning the E-TTL is advantageous too, a lot of the time you will hear photographers talk about ratios for multi-light situations. Power settings will change with f/stops and different ambient situations but desired ratios usually stay the same.

I mostly suggested the ST-E2 due to the fact it will work seamlessly with your existing flash without hot shoe add ons since it doesn't have a pc jack. Plus adding Canon flashes in the future wouldn't require additional purchases of triggers or hot shoe add ons.

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Hope you have some good pics to show after your trip
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I likely won't have any great pics from the vacation. I brought my camera, but mainly just as an aid to capturing the fact that Amber and I were there--just for documentation. I did bring a small strobist setup (2 flashes, triggers, a compact lightstand, umbrella, and gorillapod knockoff) just in case Amber gave me the opportunity to do some real shooting. :-)

Keith is quite right when it comes to the ST-E2--and he should know, as he uses it often to great effect. The ST-E2 is a wonderful tool. When I was first starting out in strobism, I thought it was an expensive luxury that I couldn't justify because there were cheaper alternatives (like Cactus triggers and Vivitar 2858HV flashes instead Canons). If I had ever known how much I would eventually end up spending on lighting equipment, I might have felt differently. ;-)