Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sand Tumblers

Re: Sand Tumblers

Alright so I was lying in my bed tonight and I thought about this picture. I thought of something that could make it look even better.

Here's my first attempt:

As you can see there's still a very visible edge to the boy. This is due to the expanded selection on the boy. If I didn't use the expanded selection I would have blank pixels.

However this got me thinking. Why couldn't I fill up the blank pixels with the tight boy selection without doing any harm to the rest of the photo. It was easier than I thought []

I just used the original photo as the bottom layer. This way all blank pixels would be filled by the original photo. Here's the result:

As you can see there are no more annoying edges. There are still some blank pixels for some reason, but they are barely visible. Perhaps I will redo this one again and try to eliminate all blank pixels. Which one do you prefer?

Jan

Good work Jan! I might have a go at this same process with one of my shots.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I would try using the tight crop, but expanding its actual size to 102% or so. Win win.

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

Good work Jan! I might have a go at this same process with one of my shots.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Ben, I have done a new one and the process is nowhere near this long [:P] The result is of course a bit different, but the glowing edges are reduces I think, without getting the blank pixels. Which was actually my own fault...had a wrong layer-arrangement I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrowe87

I would try using the tight crop, but expanding its actual size to 102% or so. Win win.

Interesting...but to be honest I have no idea how I have to do this [:$]

Latest result, which I'm fairly happy with:

That looks great Jan, I would love to learn how to do this. Maybe I

You lost me in the first round of "how to

Hi Jan!

Thank you for the very well detailed how-to
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by AnGelo Chiu

Kudos to Jan!

Kudos to the Photographer too!

Rich

[] Thanks Rich!
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Thanks a lot for the nice responses everyone []

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

I would love to learn how to do this. Maybe I'll have some time this winter.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

It's quite easy. Photoshop is actually an easy program. It is done by steps, and mostly by a lot fo steps which makes it hard to use [:P] But the individual changes are quite simple.

My latest edit seems to be in favor and it's actually a lot simpler than I had imagined. So everyone ignore the big 10+ step thing on how to do it []

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

You lost me in the first round of "how to's"! I thought the first photo fix was great but this last one is fantastic!

One of these days, I'll learn how to do some of this ...maybe it's another one to add to my winter projects list!

Well since my latest edit was done quite more simplistic than the first, it's not hard to learn how to. And actually I search a lot on Youtube as well [] You can buy a book and read about the million things Photoshop can offer you and so learn 999.999 things too much. Or you could quickly learn the basics/menu etc... and look for indivdual and specific stuff on Youtube or a book. It's better not to try photoshopping without an idea of what you want to achieve. If you have some sort of idea in your head, photoshopping isn't too hard. At least....it shouldn't always be []

Quote Originally Posted by AnGelo Chiu

Maybe the blank pixels on the last two edits will not be noticeable if the photo is resized to 800x600 or something not relatively large.

Great work Jan. Now I gotta get some time to try out your how-to. I'm sure many of us in here learned something from you. I'm sure I learned a lot.

I agree with you on the blank pixels. They're probably invisible at smaller scale. It might work for this one, but there might be a picture in the future where you'd need the full potential. So always strive for perfection []

I will post both processes in a new post to keep it clear. Hope I could learn you guys some things. Thanks for letting me do this! [Y]

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Kudos to the Photographer too!

BIG KUDOS!!! [Y]