Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm baffled w/ AF Microadjustment Problems I'm having ....help PLEASE!

Re: I'm baffled w/ AF Microadjustment Problems I'm having ....help PLEASE!

I tried it last night, wish it would have worked but it didn

Here's a photo of the AF adjustment. Hard to say for sure what the settings were since the data doesn't show up but I think they are +20 & -20.

These were in live view?

Try two not using live view and see what you get, I bet the results will be a different.

AFMA is only used for the phase detection AF points. LiveView uses contrast detection AF, using the imaging sensor to focus (unless you use the quick mode where the mirror actually slaps down, but that
    - Trowski

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Hard to say for sure what the settings were since the data doesn't show up but I think they are +20 & -20.

If those shots were in Live View with Live or Face Detect AF, the setting doesn't show up because AFMA is not applied in that situation.

From p.212 of the 7D manual - "AF adjustment cannot be done during Live View shooting in Live and face-detect Live modes." As Trowski says, AFMA is correcting the phase detect system - the one used when looking through the VF and for Quick mode in Live View (if you're in quick mode, you'll hear the mirror flip down then up for AF during Live View). The Live View Live AF and Face Detect AF modes directly use the imaging sensor for contrast detect AF, and the point of AFMA is to compensate for differential positioning of the AF sensor (at the bottom of the mirror box) and the imaging sensor (at the back of the mirror box) relative to the image plane of the lens. That means in Live View where the imaging sensor is used for contrast AF, the AFMA is not needed because there's nothing to be out of alignment.

Bottom line, to test for AMFA set Live View to Quick mode (shooting menu 4) or don't use Live View.

--John

Thank you everyone for puttting me on the right track ...again!

I re-microadjusted both the Canon 85mm and the Sigma 85mm ...and this time I did not use LiveView and all went very smoothly.

FINAL VERDICT: The Sigma is the definite winner! Although the Sigma now focuses slightly faster than it did originally, the Canon still focuses faster. Also, the Canon is more hand holdable. The Sigma for the most part needs to be used with a tripod. So why not stay with the Canon you ask? Because the Sigma is definitely sharper, better bokeh and has better contrast and of course is better in low light.

I by all means am not anti-Canon 85mm f/1.8, I still think it is an awesome lens it

The Sigma is the definite winner!

Great! I'm glad you're happy with the new lens!!

I by all means am not anti-Canon 85mm f/1.8, I still think it is an awesome lens it's just that now it is much clearer to me why the Sigma costs $550 more.

I went through a similar thought process when I changed to the 85L...I still think the 85mm f/1.8 is the one of the best values in the Canon lineup - sharp images, wide aperture, low cost - it's just that the 85L is much better, albeit much more expensive. Had the Sigma 85/1.4 been available when I was making the switch, who knows...

Darn it Denise, you are making me think twice about my next purchase. I was going to get a 135L, but seeing your enthusiasm toward this lens and the reviews I have seen by some other photographers that I follow, I might have to sell a couple items and go this route first. I use my 85mm a ton in the months where I can go outside, so maybe, just maybe...

Glad you found your newest toy! Enjoy it and I want to see some shots from that bad boy! []

Too funny! You and I are on the same wavelength here. For I am comtemplating what to sell to get the 135L! Then I will be content with my lens gear (for now)! Once I get my 2nd camera, I will then focus on maybe a tilt/shift lens.

Right now I am looking at selling my Canon 85mm, my 1.4ex II and possibly my Canon 50mm f/1.4 (this one is a big maybe). I will post them on here tonight.

I will most definitely post photos hopefully this weekend! Last night my daughter was my test subject and wouldn