Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash Diffusers ... which one to use???

Re: Flash Diffusers ... which one to use???

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

I use a Sto-Fen Omnibounce, almost always bounced off the ceiling. Similar to the Fong, most of the light is bounced but some comes direct.

I also use a Sto-Fen Omnibounce when I shoot with flash on camera. I use it on a 580EXII and tilted to the 60º notch.

It was less cumbersome than the Gary Fong and I didn't like how flat the light was from the GF was.

It is much better to get the flash off the camera. I'd suggest a flash bracket to get the light further from the axis if it necessary to keep the flash tethered.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I'd suggest a flash bracket to get the light further from the axis if it necessary to keep the flash tethered.

I do have a Manfrotto flash bracket that allows me to get the flash >12" off the lens axis (in either orientation), but I haven't bothered using it if I know I'm going to bounce the flash off the ceiling. Would the bracket help even when bouncing the flash off the ceiling?

I do have a Manfrotto flash bracket that allows me to get the flash >12" off the lens axis (in either orientation), but I haven't bothered using it if I know I'm going to bounce the flash off the ceiling. Would the bracket help even when bouncing the flash off the ceiling?

In my long list of "want list"...and it's LOOOONG [:P], I had the flash bracket paired with a miniature softbox that goes directly onto the flash (e.g. Lumiquest Softbox III) I would think bouncing off the ceiling alone wouldn't matter too much on or off camera.

So if I were to have a bracket I would get a miniature diffuser to create an angled catch light and a soft portrait lighting (granted you are fairly close to your subjects).

My better option is to get the Orbis ring flash. I love the circular catch light!! and it's surprisingly soft too from what I can tell from reviews.

EDIT: Now I was thinking...If you don't use on camera flash bouncing, the room would be dark with only the subject being lit. You could spend that extra $80 I mentioned earlier and have an off camera flash somewhere in the room provide the background exposure. It works because your on-camera flash would be tethered via cable, so your hotshoe would be open for the wireless trigger []

Sorry most of my post are all strobism stuff. But just suggesting alternative approaches! []

If I

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I'd suggest a flash bracket to get the light further from the axis if it necessary to keep the flash tethered.

Well I like to shoot at the 60º tilt so there is some direct light hitting subjects. I'm usually pretty please with my landscape oriented shots but portrait orientation are awful. So I like a bracket to get the flash above axis for portrait shots also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

If I'm not mistaken, Keith B has a ring diffuser...he might be able to provide some examples.

I do have a ring diffuser. I use the Ray Flash. It works pretty well. I find the practical uses are pretty few though. It is probably best as a fill light because at lower power it doesn't create shadows. If you power it up you will get the halo shadow around your subject while reducing contrast at the same time.

I don't have any examples handy right now. As I go through my archives over the weekend I can post some if they will help.

I like the Lumiquest Promax system: www.lumiquest.com/.../promax-system.htm

Also a large white index card taped/velcrowed to your flash set vertically works great as well for cheap.

I use the Speedlite Prokit 4 reflector with the diffuser attached. It works really well as it
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Alan

I use the GF Universal Lightsphere, and have gotten excellent results most of the time. Setting the ISO higher will also help, but more often than not ISO 200 is fine.

In my living room, I have two light stands ready to go for a couple of strobes/umbrellas, depending on the event (mostly family stuff). I use Alien Bees for that, and trigger them with Pocket Wizards.

A might over the top, but it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/8883.2139206318_5F00_6ffcd72dc1_5F00_z.jpg[/img]

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks for posting this suggestion. I tried it with two Sunpak 120J's with good results.

My grandkids

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/8686.IMG_5F00_0045.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/6320.IMG_5F00_0043.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/6505.IMG_5F00_0061.JPG[/img]

And my son who is very scary in the morning

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/5314.IMG_5F00_0034.JPG[/img]

Mark
    Mark