Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My gear...what I like and don't like about it

Re: My gear...what I like and don't like about it

Quote Originally Posted by patham
    I'm not sure I'm using the tool correctly, but doesn't the Tamron actually seem sharper?

It does look like at f/2.8, maybe the Tamron is a little sharper at 17mm. Stop them both down to f/4.0 and the Canon seems to pull ahead. Compare them wide open at their longest focal lengths though, 55mm and 50mm. Looks like at the other end the Canon is sharper. Stopped down to f/4.0 they're very similar at all focal lengths.

Having owned this lens in the past... it does seem to have underperformed that test. I got incredible results from that lens. The only reason I parted with it is because I got a 5DII and wanted to put the money toward the 24-70mm f/2.8L.

Compared to the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC, there's no contest, the Canon is much, much sharper. Especially wide open, which is the whole point of having f/2.8. I think the combination of f/2.8 and IS really make the Canon worth the money.

What would be a right tripod for a maximum weight of say an EOS 500D + 70-300 + flash?

I like the Manfrotto 055XPROB aluminum tripod. You could upgrade to the carbon fiber version, but they're similar, only real difference is the weight of the tripod. With that I have the Manfrotto 327RC2 joystick head, which I've found to be very nice. This is a heavy set up to lug around though, so be prepared to get a workout. This might be a bit of overkill for you, since I'm often mounting a 5DII and 70-200 f/2.8, but I just wanted to give you an idea of what works for me.

A flash. The 10-22 very easily sees itself with the onboard flash and the problem is also apparent with the Sigma lens being able to see its hood when at the widest. This will most probably be the 580 EX II, which as far as I can see is the best that is available.

For a flash, if you don't want to spend the money for the 580ex II, I recommend the 430ex II. It's a good balance of features to price. If you ever want another flash to do some multiple flash set ups, you could then get the 580ex II, and the 430ex II will still work as a slave. Could maybe put the money you save now toward a 50mm f/1.4. []
    - Trowski

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    with the one I have, the arm pivots and the legs can pose at any angle independitly.

The 190CXPRO4 has an adjustable center column (normal / 90° / reversed) so the camera can be to the side or suspended upside down to get it very close to the ground; the legs can be locked at independent angles (great for hillsides). Personally, I find the flip-locks on the Manfrotto legs faster to open/close than the twist-locks on the Gitzo.

Generically speaking, I prefer CF over aluminum for the lighter weight and better vibration damping, but also - especially at this time of year - the fact that CF has a much lower thermal transfer coefficient than carbon, which means the legs don't feel as cold when you're adjusting/carrying the tripod around outside.

<span style="font-size: small;"]
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

<span style="font-size: small;"]The 190CXPRO4 has an adjustable center column (normal / 90&deg; / reversed) so the camera can be to the side or suspended upside down to get it very close to the ground; the legs can be locked at independent angles (great for hillsides). Personally, I find the flip-locks on the Manfrotto legs faster to open/close than the twist-locks on the Gitzo.

<span style="font-size: small;"]Generically speaking, I prefer CF over aluminum for the lighter weight and better vibration damping, but also - especially at this time of year - the fact that CF has a much lower thermal transfer coefficient than carbon, which means the legs don't feel as cold when you're adjusting/carrying the tripod around outside.

<span style="font-size: small;"]The Gitzo 2541EX arm can be positioned at any angle, and the legs can be set at any angle you desire, as they are held in place at the angle with a friction clamp. I bought mine for outside Macro work so I could manuver to any position I wanted. It is a neat tripod, the real point is that I see no real reason to buy a Gitzo unless you need it for a specific purpose.

<span style="font-size: small;"]The Manfrotto 190CXPRO4looks likean excellent tripod, at $284 for legs alone it might be more than Patham would want to spend. Plus sidemight be,they arebased in Itally (as is Gitzo), maybe he can get it cheaper in Europe.

Indeed, shipping from Italy (or just getting something from Amazon) would be much much cheaper than having something shipped from the US. The only camera related equipment that I have from the US is the point&amp;shoot that I bought there when on a trip.

Thank you all for the very helpful comments, they sure have given me a lot to ponder.
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

without reading anyone elses replies, I

Just a little update:

Following all your very helpful comments:

Seeing a nice deal on Amazon I
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

Combining three recent purchases is this picture.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/8738.50f18.jpg[/img]

Pictured is a 50mm f/1.8 lens, taken with a 100mm f/2.8 macro (the old non-USM version that extends during zooming) and post-processed via DxO.

Shot at f/2.8, ISO 800, 1 second exposure time, no flash used.

I'm also now the proud owner of a 430EX II but haven't been able to test it yet due to lack of batteries for it...

With all this new gear I have a few things to learn.

Looks great! For what it is worth, I own the Tamron 17-50 non VC. If cost is an issue, it

Patham,

If you