Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First family Portrait Session---Could use some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    While I've used silver reflective umbrellas in the past, I much prefer using white ones (they do require a bit more power, though). I'm not a fan of the gold umbrellas. I like to gel my mainlight with 1/4 CTO lots of the time. However, a gold umbrella is substantially warmer than that. I like gelling flashes because you can have a full set of gels that arm you for just about any occasion, and you can fine tune the color with 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 variations.

If you did go with a silver umbrella, gel you flashes with 1/4 each to counteract the coolness of the silver reflective surface.
    Thats why I love this forum----there is never a shortage of solid advice---Thanks Sean,
    Bob

Bob, if your wife is going to be along why not have her just hold a big reflector. I know you have the flashes for it but if you don't want to spend forever setting them up and taking them down, especially if your going to change locations often, give that a thought too. I know they make rather large reflectors and it sounds as though the family isn't really that large. Just a thought. I have used a reflector for a couple family outings and have had good luck with them. I have used this one http://www.adorama.com/FPPR52SW.html and this one http://www.adorama.com/FPPR5142.html with good luck. Just saying...

Bob, how did it turn out?

Well, It was scheduled for this upcoming weekend, But they backed out due to other commitments---SO now, I am just waiting on a phone call from them. But I did buy another umbrella and some more batteries in preparation-----I just hope they don't go to waste.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    But I did buy another umbrella and some more batteries in preparation-----I just hope they don't go to waste.
    Those never go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Those never go to waste.
    Yeah, Thats really why I bought them---I figured at some point I would use them again---and....Low and behold, My son and his fianc'e want some of those pregnant portaits done--Not really my thing, but I am willing to give it my best shot when the cookies are almost done. The baby is due in July, so maybe in June I will try out my portrait skills.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    The baby is due in July, so maybe in June I will try out my portrait skills.
    You'll want to do them eariler than that. The general rule is late second or early third trimester. You want the mother to be clearly showing, but not so far along that she's uncomfortable with everything. If she looks like she's ready to pop, you waited too long...

Great point Sean, Thanks again
    Bob