Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Macro Lens?

I ended up buying the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

If I don't like it I can always resell it or swap it.

I love photography

Yes, you will need to be closer. You cannot focus on a object farther away than 5' with the setup mentioned above, the more extension tubes you have the closer can focus. Although there is a slight IQ difference with extension tubes, nothing to worry about with a 25mm tube but when start stacking the entire set you will notice loss of IQ and light (nothing is for free in photography).

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Well, macro photography is definitely different. Having trouble getting used to no IS on the lens. Works fine with tripod or on a desk, but in my hands it's pretty shaky.

Getting used to the zoom etc and it's maximum length is also difficult. But the results on small items are fantastic so far.

The 60mm macro is an excellent lens I think you'll be happy with it. My wife is using one and the other bonus is that the on board flash actually works pretty well with it because the lens is short. My wife's been using one for a while and has come up with quite a few good shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68000527@N04/tags/macro/

Dave

Get this one when it comes back in stock at the Canon Refurbished store or you can get this one, it's new and in stock but just white box (this means broken from some kind of kit they were offering but still has the 1 year warranty). I have this lens and love it. I use it with extension tubes to get higher magnifications. If you get a Kenko or Tamron 1.4x TC, they work with the non-L lenses and work great. They give added reach and greater magnification also. This lens is super sharp. Check out Bryan's review. That would take care of your issues.

If you don't like that then the Tamron 90mm is awesome (this guy uses it for the non high mag pictures) or you can get the Sigma 105mm (Denise is using this one).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    The 60mm macro is an excellent lens I think you'll be happy with it. My wife is using one and the other bonus is that the on board flash actually works pretty well with it because the lens is short. My wife's been using one for a while and has come up with quite a few good shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68000527@N04/tags/macro/

Dave
    Some pretty impressive shots

I recently purchased the 60mm f/2.8 macro and its pretty amazing. I shoot with a 60D so the 1.6X focal length works for me. It does not have IS so its a bit challenging without a tripod.

I would recommend renting a macro for the festival... see if love it and than purchase it. If you work with a local photo shop and rent a lens from them and let them know you may buy it, more often then not they will apply the rental cost to your purchase.

Good luck and have fun, flowers are beautiful subjects.

Bruce

Good for you. Having enthusiasm is probably about 90% of what you need in this hobby. (The other is having about 5x the money you initially thought you would spend)
    You should get a tripod no matter what kind of shooting you do. They are really really useful in lots of situations. If you are going to do any macro, you probably want one that will splay out low to the ground and that has an articulating stem to hold the camera in whatever weird position you need to shoot your little things.
    Here's the one I am going to get. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...m_Lateral.html

Oben seems to have some kind of arrangement with B&H, because they sell for less than comparable tripods, and B&H seems to prioritize them in their search function. I bought their monopod and it is great. You have to look at the weight ratings too, and these will hold up an elephant compared to most others in the price range are rated for.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

My personal choice would be the 100mm focal length, if gives a very nice seperation of the subject and background and a less clutered background. I would rather go longer than shorter, but thats just me. It also gives me a little more room for those shy critters that are spooked easily. But a shorter focal length gives you more DOF and easier to hand hold, so it's a trade off.

I would go for the refubished 100mm macro if I wanted AF liked above. If you could live without AF a old manual focus macro lens are a dime a dozen and you could spend the rest the money on lighting or another lens. Since macro is many times very magnification constrained, a small change in focus makes a big difference in your framing (Think 1 to 1). The 1-5x 60mm f/2.8 macro lens doesn't have AF for this same reason. This more of a problem at high magnifications levels than lower ones. But I think you get the picture....

Cheers,
    John.
    Last edited by FastGass; 09-16-2012 at 04:30 AM.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Yeah, I was going for 100mm but it was over double the price and I couldn't justify it

Manual focus is fine with me, I do 90%+ of my shots in manual. Lack of IS is really kicking my butt though