Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frankenstorm Sandy

I am in Garden City on Long Island and so far just a couple of trees and wind.

Looking at Manhattan and Brooklyn I am getting concerned about the subway.

Friend in Monmouth NJ is w/o power.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I can't imagine what it's like in New Jersey, New York, etc.
    http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/ind...?topic=10580.0
    Second post down, that just looks weird. "The streets are deserted, except a few nutters with cameras"

ps, there's also a lot of fake pics going around already (including that damned shark again).
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 10-30-2012 at 12:50 AM.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Well, I just talked to my son in Newport News, Virgina (Tidewater area) and according to him, "lots of rain, lots of water, and 37 MPH wind, but still have electricty and cell phones. Hopefully it doesn't get much wose than that. For those north of that area, our prayers are with you. If you live in New York, don't walk under tall buildings, I hear cranes are falling from the sky Seriously, we wish all those on the east coast our best. Be safe,

Bob
    Last edited by bob williams; 10-30-2012 at 01:21 AM.
    Bob

Thanks everyone. Things in New Hampshire are ok. 180,000 without power and growing. Just saw that Massachusetts has 400,000 without power. We lost power at about 6 pm. But, fortunately we have a generator, so all things considered, I am doing just fine watching movies, etc.

Things outside of Philly (NW of city) aren't too bad. Heavy winds and LOTS of rain. Power has cut out 4-5 times but back on in minutes.

Heard from friends in Jersey that things are really ugly. Fortunately, they are all playing it smart and bugged out early.
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

I am hearing on the news, a couple days of heavy rain once inland, 3' of snow expected in some places.
    It sounds like the fun is going to go on for a while. Especially where the storm finally stalls and turns back north east.

I'm watching the updates on the BBC.
    "0111: Latest estimates of the number of people without power now range between five and six million."
    That's a lot of people with no movies to watch.

And I was watching ABC24 on the lunchroom tv an hour ago. No sound, but I saw reporters with flaming buildings in the background, probably power-lines falling on things (i'd hope that they'd have already turned the gas-mains off).

And I've seen some good photos of manhattan with half of the lights turned off...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I am hearing on the news, a couple days of heavy rain once inland, 3' of snow expected in some places.
    It sounds like the fun is going to go on for a while. Especially where the storm finally stalls and turns back north east.
    Snow and more snow.
    Oh well, snow is easy enough to survive as long as you're inside next to a fire (and the roof doesn't cave in). Should make for some good shots once you can get outdoors again...

edit: and if this link works, this is a cool shot of windsurfing in Chicago...
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 10-30-2012 at 06:14 AM.
    Gear Photos

We are already experiencing the high wind gusts (around 45 mph) in Kenosha, Wisconsin! Nothing like they've seen on the coast but usually we don't see the effects from a storm on the coast for a number of days later. It shows how huge this thing is for us to be feeling it already! Looks like some shots of the waves down by Lake Michigan are in order!

I am from Florida and the idea of being in the water and needing a wet suit is simply a non-starter.

Working a big non-photo project on Long Island just outside of Kennedy Airport for the next several months... The storm has really screwed up NYC. Tunnels are flooded as are several subway stations - with salt water. I was wondering where the gators and rats went. Coastal Connecticut looks to be screwed up as well and New Jersey.... well it is New Jersey after all.

This well take several weeks to get back to 50%
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911