View Poll Results: Your Ideal Sensor Size?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 15 MP

0 0%
  • 15-20 MP

0 0%
  • 20-25 MP

7 31.82%
  • 25-30 MP

10 45.45%
  • 30-40 MP

3 13.64%
  • 40-60 MP

1 4.55%
  • Greater than 60 MP

1 4.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideal Number of Megapixels

Interesting. For over 75% of us, our "ideal" sensor is in the 20 MP to 30 MP range. A slight boost from the current lineup. Based on the results, Canon may take care of everybody with one high MP camera and a slight bump in others, instead focusing on other aspects of IQ and camera performance.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Canon may take care of everybody with one high MP camera and a slight bump in others, instead focusing on other aspects of IQ and camera performance.
    I don't think this is a valid conclusion. The questions was about resolution, so the answers are resolution based. This doesn't discard the need for improvements in other aspects of IQ or performance.

I'd love Canon to have less noise in the shadows. I think it was Daniel who showed how much he could boost the exposure of an image from a Nikon camera, compared to the noisy mess the Canon sensors produced. That was back before the current set of cameras, back when Nikon first introduced their super-high-res full-frame. If Canon still hasn't fixed this yet, it's on my wishlist. I'd even rank it higher than more megapixels. Less noise at high ISOs also ranks above higher resolution.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    I'd love Canon to have less noise in the shadows. I think it was Daniel who showed how much he could boost the exposure of an image from a Nikon camera, compared to the noisy mess the Canon sensors produced. That was back before the current set of cameras, back when Nikon first introduced their super-high-res full-frame. If Canon still hasn't fixed this yet, it's on my wishlist. I'd even rank it higher than more megapixels. Less noise at high ISOs also ranks above higher resolution.
    Hi David....Agreed. The poll was about number of megapixels on a sensor only.

I may not have been very clear in my last statement, but that is what I was getting at. At least with the crowd here at TDP, very few of us would find a high MP sensor "ideal." Instead, it seems that most would be satisfied with a relatively small boost in MP over the current generation and that would leave Canon to "instead focus on other aspects of IQ and camera performance." I suspect DR, low ISO noise, etc would be near the top of the list of "other aspects of IQ," but the poll wasn't intended to cover that.

But, that could be a great second poll.....and I promise, I am not working for Canon Marketing
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-22-2013 at 02:49 PM.

EDIT: Ok, I'm drifting off the poll topic as well. I'll save my Wish List for another time.
    Mark - Flickr

I think I misread an 'of' in there... ie: 'instead of focussing on...' . Sorry for confusion.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L