Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 70d and 60d, questions

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    I totally disagree with this advice. I just this year purchased used a 1DIII and a 1DsIII to go along with my original 5D. I love them all and am very happy with my kit. I do like the AF Microadjustment of the 1D & 1Ds. I do not see the need to ensure I have the latest technology. I do much prefer the full frame to a crop frame. I would rather have my 12.8MP full frame than a 20MP crop frame.
    I say if you can get a 5DII, go for it. You can't go wrong.
    To be honest, with the 40mm f2.8 and the Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 the only "loss" in term of equipment would be the 10-18, that is pretty new right now and i can sell it to obtain with a little extra money the Samyiang 14mm f2.8, that is really good (only manual but, at 14mm is ok)!

I'm thinking about it and i'm also looking around for some good offer, but i also love to shoot and if i didn't found a really good offer for the 5dMkII i'll probably go with 60D (the 1.6x factor makes the 70-300 very long)

Thank you for your opinion
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    I totally disagree with this advice. I just this year purchased used a 1DIII and a 1DsIII to go along with my original 5D. I love them all and am very happy with my kit. I do like the AF Microadjustment of the 1D & 1Ds. I do not see the need to ensure I have the latest technology. I do much prefer the full frame to a crop frame. I would rather have my 12.8MP full frame than a 20MP crop frame.
    I say if you can get a 5DII, go for it. You can't go wrong.
    I totally disagree with your disagreement. You went from 2005 tech to 2007 tech, and you like the improvement. However, you haven't continued that trend, which would allow you to experience everything (tangible and not) that's gone into newer cameras, so you aren't speaking from direct experience about today's products, nor are you speaking from experience with a continued progression of technology.

My wife and I have owned a Rebel XTi (2006), 40D (2007), 1D Mark III (2007), 7D (2009), 5D Mark III (2012), and 1Dx (2012). As such, I've got familiarity with the evolution of the product line more than you, which speaks to my advice. Our XTi has been sold, and the 40D is about to go, but honestly the 7Ds aren't going to stay here long either. The evolution has brought a lot of new features, some of which are useful and some aren't, but there are lots of other improvements not easily quantified such as timing, menu ease of use, control layout.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Some people like classic cars. Some people like new releases with bells and whistles. I think it is up to you to find something that fits your needs the best; new or used.

The only issue I have ever heard with buying used is that at some point Canon stops supporting older cameras. But that is typically after a couple of generations. Also, if the camera is working, what good is support?

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    I totally disagree with your disagreement. You went from 2005 tech to 2007 tech, and you like the improvement. However, you haven't continued that trend, which would allow you to experience everything (tangible and not) that's gone into newer cameras, so you aren't speaking from direct experience about today's products, nor are you speaking from experience with a continued progression of technology.

My wife and I have owned a Rebel XTi (2006), 40D (2007), 1D Mark III (2007), 7D (2009), 5D Mark III (2012), and 1Dx (2012). As such, I've got familiarity with the evolution of the product line more than you, which speaks to my advice. Our XTi has been sold, and the 40D is about to go, but honestly the 7Ds aren't going to stay here long either. The evolution has brought a lot of new features, some of which are useful and some aren't, but there are lots of other improvements not easily quantified such as timing, menu ease of use, control layout.
    I have played with friends 7Ds and 1Dx. So I am speaking from experience. I like these new models quite a bit but I just don't have to be on the bleeding edge of technolody all the time to get fantastic IQ. I also do not have the disposable funds to keep up either.
    You also will not find me standing in long lines for the iphone 6. I'll keep my out dated 5 for as long as I can.
    By the way. It was not too long ago, less than a year, I had my original 5D repaired. Seems it is still supported or at least was less than 12 months ago. And I'll take its IQ over a 7DII.
    So when someone else who is struggling with $$s is thinking 60D, 7D or 5DII, I'll recomend the 5DII
    Mark

The latest and greatest is nice when cash allows. When it does not take the best alternative for the cash available.

Full frame is great, but good lenses will cost.

Canon has come out with some really nice crop lenses the past several years that are also relatively inexpensive 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 55-250 STM, 24 STM, and the older 60mm macro is also quite good (I still own this one, have not used the others but people like them and they review well).

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on lenses, APS-C is the way to go. I own the 60D and it is a good camera although it is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'd suggest the 70D should be a good step up in performance versus the 60D.

Dave

I'll chime in here. I have an obsolete fullframe 16MP 1Ds2. I have an aging 18MP 7D as well. I use them both. They could both use a refresh, but they both work. Both make pictures that people want to give me (small amounts of) money for. They both can only really go to ISO 1600, and they've got nearly identical pixel counts, and similar weather sealing.

I wouldn't want to give up either of them. They complement each other nicely, each with different strengths, and each using my lenses differently. Despite having a fullframe, I still bought an EF-S lens this year. Complete compatibility is a nice idea, but a usable and affordable set of tools is more important. I can shoot the various things I shoot with *either* body. Some things are just a bit easier, or work a bit better, or have less limits when combined with one of the bodies. Crop kits are definitely lighter and cheaper. Having both, I can get away with ignoring the heaviest and most expensive full-frame components, the super-tele primes.

As you can only afford one, you want the best tool for the job... But what's "the job"? I've heard a lot of "I've heard (third party lens) doesn't like (some body), so I'm leaning towards (other body)". I haven't heard what you plan to shoot. Yes, a little of everything. Everyone shoots everything. But you've got something you love to shoot most. You want your new camera specifically so you can take awesome pictures of X. What's X? When we know X, we can tell you the best body to get you there. It might not be a 60D or a 70D. Maybe it would be a 5D1. Maybe you'd need the 6D. Maybe you'd be better off getting the cheapest thing you can afford for now, and saving your pennies for a 5D3, or a 7D2. Or maybe the 60D *would* be perfect. Right now, we're guessing.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Eheh, you are right - i'll answer later in the morning (at least, here in Italy, is morning now)

Jamsus

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    I'll chime in here. I have an obsolete fullframe 16MP 1Ds2. I have an aging 18MP 7D as well. I use them both. They could both use a refresh, but they both work. Both make pictures that people want to give me (small amounts of) money for. They both can only really go to ISO 1600, and they've got nearly identical pixel counts, and similar weather sealing.

I wouldn't want to give up either of them. They complement each other nicely, each with different strengths, and each using my lenses differently. Despite having a fullframe, I still bought an EF-S lens this year. Complete compatibility is a nice idea, but a usable and affordable set of tools is more important. I can shoot the various things I shoot with *either* body. Some things are just a bit easier, or work a bit better, or have less limits when combined with one of the bodies. Crop kits are definitely lighter and cheaper. Having both, I can get away with ignoring the heaviest and most expensive full-frame components, the super-tele primes.

As you can only afford one, you want the best tool for the job... But what's "the job"? I've heard a lot of "I've heard (third party lens) doesn't like (some body), so I'm leaning towards (other body)". I haven't heard what you plan to shoot. Yes, a little of everything. Everyone shoots everything. But you've got something you love to shoot most. You want your new camera specifically so you can take awesome pictures of X. What's X? When we know X, we can tell you the best body to get you there. It might not be a 60D or a 70D. Maybe it would be a 5D1. Maybe you'd need the 6D. Maybe you'd be better off getting the cheapest thing you can afford for now, and saving your pennies for a 5D3, or a 7D2. Or maybe the 60D *would* be perfect. Right now, we're guessing.
    You are right, for me is not a job is a strong passion. My kind of photography regards pretty everything, from landscape to nature details to architecture and sometimes sport. But for sport "pictures" consider that i'm finding fine with the Canon 600D autofocus system - because i usually shoot from a medium distance with 70-300 during daylight so... i do not really need a camera body-breaker for action pictures.

Wildlife (birds etc) is not really my priority, i do prefer a lot more natural details or static \ little animals (spiders etc)!

Jamsus

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=7260

Reading this, i see that 70D has a list of "compatible" lenses, do you know if the AF problem of 70D are coming out also with those lenses?

My only fear on the 70D is encountering one of those problems...

Jamsus

This is the first time I've seen this list, but I don't think this list is anything to be concerned about. That's a list of lenses incompatible with the second, new and faster, focusing technology for LiveView.

The optical viewfinder still works, as it always has, with all lenses. The LiveView will work in contrast-detect (accurate but slow), as it has since it was introduced. It's just that many older lenses don't work with the new DualPixel system. This system sends half the light to the sensor for LiveView, and half to the phase-detect focus system (the type of focus system the optical viewfinder uses).

The list also looks like very old lenses. These are focal length ranges that Canon hasn't made in a long time. Notice you'll see 70-210, and 80-200, instead of 70-200. 28-70 and 28-80, instead of 24-70. I own one of them (28-70mm f/3.5-4.5)... it was my cheap (used, $99) way of getting a general purpose lens for my 1Ds2. It's ancient.

This could mean issues for 3rd party lenses too, but only for the new Dual Pixel Live-View focus mode.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L