Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Frame…Help!

Just to be clear...will all of my current lenses work on the 6D or 5DII?

Your EF-S lenses will not work with either the 6D or 5DII - 17-55 2.8, 60mm Macro 1.8 (is this really the EF-S 2.8?), ULTRAWIDE 10-22.

Thanks everyone! Lots of information to process!

Some of those lenses won't work. I'd also recommend the 6D, the quality is fantastic. I switched from a 6D to a 5DmkIII (purely due to docus points) and then to a 5Ds (too much money to burn).

The 6D is great for landscapes and great in low light (shot a few gigs with it and it didn't miss a beat), but it's focus point selection is incredibly primitive both in types of focus points and actual focus points available. The 5dmkIII is far superior in that regard. However, the 6D is still a fantastic camera and the image quality is amazing.

Already a lot of good advice. As someone who jumped from the 7D to 5DIII, I just want to add a few thoughts:
    • At least for me the jump felt like more of an incremental improvement in several areas. The IQ from the 5DIII is better, especially low light, highlights, transition between areas of contrast, and bokeh. But in terms of "what can I take" that I couldn't take before, do not underestimate how good the 7D is and the fact that the 7DII and 80D (maybe even T6i) will have better IQ than the 7D. I think you will notice the improvements right away, but the
    • Lens selection. I just want to echo what someone else said and more lenses were intended and designed for FF compared to APS-C. This is great, but, if you start buying those lenses, it is not cheap.
    • Along these lines, APS-C seems built for utility. I had a wide range covered with my 7D, EFS 15-85, and 100-400 L. Slower glass, sure, but for travel, walking around, and just taking pictures, amazing. Because of the larger image circle, FF does not have an equivalent to the 15-85. To have faster glass covering the same range I find myself with more lenses. Which, in the end cost me more, and has made traveling a bit more cumbersome.

I don't want you to misconstrue my intent, there are advantages to full frame. I would just think about what you want, what you need, and why you want to make the jump. APS-C is very capable and actually has a few advantages, particularly, convenience.

I love my 7D and have no intention of parting with it. My thinking is this: my T3i sits in the bag and never gets any use. If I make the move to the 5DII or 6D, I will still have 2 bodies with a nice assortment of lenses for both. Plus, I will use both cameras for their respective assignments. I will have 2 outstanding choices for every shoot, as opposed to just keeping the T3i as a backup. The FF would be my primary for portraits and the 7D for landscape, wildlife, sports.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Okay, you're the guy to talk to then. So, "the sauce" is purely full-frame, and not 1D specific? If so, maybe a 5D3 is in my future. If I get "the sauce" without the weight or price of a 1D, then that sounds perfect.

(Hopefully this discussion is useful to jerrytech1, and anyone considering full-frame, too.)
    To summarize, yes, the 1Dx blew away my 1D3 by a mile. Both were 1-series high-frame-rate variants (no difference once you get to the 1Dx, but it was 1D vs. 1Ds back in the day of the 1D3), and it was only a 0.3x crop delta, not the full 0.6x of APS-C. It could have also been two generations of technological improvements, as the 5D3 didn't immediately jump out at me as magical, and we bought that one first, though admittedly it was a bribe to my wife ("here's a new camera. Hope you don't mind me buying a bunch of lenses now too.") and I didn't shoot much with it (still haven't). The 1Dx impressed me so much (moving from a 1D3/7D pairing to a 1Dx/1D3) that I bought a second 1Dx within 8 weeks, moving my beloved 1D3 from primary to benchwarmer in that amount of time.

Now, for the sake of mention, even though the 5D3 has the same AF sensor as the 1Dx, it doesn't have near the CPU horsepower (1 Digic vs. 3; 2 for imaging and 1 for AF/exposure), and IMHO this makes an appearance in how the AF works. To me, it's just not the same. I wasn't thrilled with it when I shot our dogs at the dog park with a 70-200/4IS (a fantastic performer IMHO), though again a disclaimer is relevant here: I was new to the menu options at the time. However, I found confirmation (and justification...) after reading this review: http://chrisgilesphotography.com/blo...g-photography/ and added a 5DsR to our fleet shortly thereafter. Wow. Just wow. I had been the strongest 1D-series addict known to my corner of the world for years, whether it be the build quality/feel in hand, control customization options (I was addicted to ISO on the big wheel, extremely useful in Av so the two sides of the triangle that I controlled were immediate knobs with no need for a button push prior), AF, IQ, whatever. Now, the 5DsR is my "first-alarm" camera for EVERYTHING unless bad weather, unpredictable sports, or a perceived need for an extra 1/3 stop of sync speed causes me to begrudgingly reach for a 1Dx. My second 1Dx has moved into my wife's bag to be her "long lens/action/high-frame-rate" camera.

So, not to turn you away from a 5D3, but do take a good, long, hard look at a 5Ds of one sort or the other. I'm still consistently blown away at the clarity and detail. Here's just one sample: I ordered a new softbox that's supposed to create a perfectly round catchlight (even though it's not round). I had a friend go along, set up the light, and took one shot (gosh I love TTL). 5DsR, 70-200/2.8IS (yes, the old model). I forget the EXIF but I think it's ISO 100, f/5.6 at 1/200th. I zoomed in on the LCD and said "You're wearing colored contacts!"...go ahead, zoom in on it: http://photos.templin.org/images/hexoval-102.jpg (yes, the lashes are fake too...I knew that already)
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

When I got a ff I was surprised how wide 24mm was. I did the math before hand and understood what would happen, but I was so used to shooting at 24mm with the 7D. But you soon get used to it and I have since got a 16-35 that I use a lot (time to sell the 24-105). The 400mm is going to be at the other spectrum of the issue, but if you keep your 7D you will not have a problem, but I found I could crop the ff files more than the 7D.

If it was me, I think the ff would be my goto camera for landscapes... not the 7D because the noise is controlled better (especially in low light).

After all other considerations, the big improvement the ff cameras will give you is the high ISO capability and the better control of noise overall (which also equates to more head room in sharpening and lifting shadows in pp). I found this alone solved a lot of the problems I had with the 7D. A lot of low light shots will open up for you. However, the low light improvements will be less so if you go to far back into earlier generations of camera's. This is why everyone is pushing the 6D over the 5D II.

By the way... my 7D never got used anymore. I gave it to my nephew.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Thanks peety3. I'll do some digging. Of course, by the time I'm ready to buy one, there will be new models to compare.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

thanks everyone for all the feedback. awesome...