Page 22 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

Dang Sean...

That shot is awesome. Not just the lighting but the composition is phenomenal.

Thanks Chuck. I like it too. It's kind of surprising how much I like it because I skipped over it in my initial review of the images. I didn't catch it until the next day when I took a look at them on my home machine (I had originally gone through them on my girlfriend's laptop). In fact, it had the honor of being the first photo I ever printed on my new Pixma Pro9000. ;-)

That's cool....How's that new printer...we expect a good thorough Sean Setters review....[] in a seperate thread...of course

That's a great shot Sean.

Here's a self-portrait I did the other night while bored. I wanted to get shadows from the tree in the front yard but couldn't make it work so I just switched up my flash placement

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.86/20091107_5F00_3034-copy.jpg[/img]
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Very cool one-light there, twisted. Nice comp.

I agree, nice shot. I like the restricted light area (like when using a grid or snoot), and it works well with your framing.

it was actually two cinimon toast crunch snoots set onto one another (i'd say in the area of 8-9") from about 10-15 feet. and thanks guys.
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

Kieth,

I like your messing around portrait. The colors aren't that bad. The lighting is soft and very natural. It sorta looks like you took the shot while she was watching TV. I agree with Sean, mess around with black and white filters, you'd be suprised at what can come out. Picasa 3 has a very good filtered black and white converter. I play with the white balance and color deflection in Silkypix when converting from RAW to B&W.

Thanks Chuck

I mess around with BW filters in PS all the time the thing about this shot I don't care for in BW isn't the wall or sweater, the skin tones are shadowy and you actually lose the fact there is a difference in light ratios and angles. She was actually watching TV, but the lighting is all strobes. 580EXII in a 36" Softlighter II for the key and a 580EXII on camera with a Ray Flash ring for the fill.

Sean

The tracks shot IS awesome. Great comp.

Keith-

I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd take a shot at making your picture black & white while trying to preserve/enhance the lighting ratio. I think it turned out alright.
    <table style="width: auto;"]
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td>[url="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FizaapgBGxYUkM4uZLpMBw?feat=embedwebsite][/url]</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right"]From Kieth B's Pic</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Keith-

I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd take a shot at making your picture black &amp; white while trying to preserve/enhance the lighting ratio. I think it turned out alright.
    <table style="width: auto;"]
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px;text-align:right;"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px;"]
    </td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

Don't mind at all. Looks good. It looks real similar to what I had. I think I meant more of, I would have lit it entirely different If I were shooting for BW.

Here is what I got from PS CS3

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_9545bwsm.jpg[/img]

Yeah, I like yours better. I tried to enhance the contrast (locally, on her face)...but I like the more typical red filter results you have there.