Page 25 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

joback:

The photos of the Eagle and Osprey were shot with a 5D Mk II at ISO 400. All the shots were at 1/2000s. The first two were shot at F/9; the third one at F/6.3; and the last at F/5.6.

The lens used was a 300 F4L IS with a 1.4X Extender.

EdN,

It looks like they were considerably cropped from the original. How much of the original image were those crops taken from?

Fred~

Thanks, EdN: Your results are great.If it was me, I might have gone with a higher ISO to better freeze the action when the subjects were crossing the field of view (rather than coming at the lens).I've pushed my 5D pretty high with my 100-400L and found the results very pleasing. That said, I can't argue with your obvious success!

Fred:

You are so correct. The photos are indeed crops, about the center third of each frame and then reduced to fit the format of this forum.

joback:

Thanks for your comments. When I showed up, the air battle had just got started and my camera and lens was still in my back pack. I got the lens on the body and just tried to follow the action using the pre-set of TV=1/2000s and ISO 400. I didn't have a lot of time to consider higher ISO's or higher shutter speeds because the furball was already in progress. I'll certainly try it in the future.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.27.wildlife/Sandhill-Crane-_2800_female_2900_-1-_2D00_-25.jpg[/img]

I did what some of you guys suggested (this was a few weeks ago). I never had my pictures on RAW, but this one was. Tell me what you think, constructive critisism is always appretiated. Thanks!

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.27.wildlife/Sandhill-Crane-_2800_female_2900_-1-_2D00_-25.jpg[/img]

I did what some of you guys suggested (this was a few weeks ago). I never had my pictures on RAW, but this one was. Tell me what you think, constructive critisism is always appretiated. Thanks!

I think the whole reflection of the bird in the water would look cool rather than cutting it off halfway. Maybe that wasn't possible because there was grass instead of water or you could get a wider focal length, but thats just my two cents.

(Maybe leave more of the picture to the right also. It would give the bird someplace to be looking to rather than off the frame)

I like how the nest is in the shot though

New to the forums and figured I'd throw up my contribution. Working with the Canon 100mm Macro we recently got, basically a lucky shot.

Stratification: Good job. Some photographers won't admit it, but a lot of our best shots rely on a at least bit of luck. The best way to make Luck your best friend is to practice, practice, practice.Best regards- John

Thanks John, practice I do. I try to get out and shoot every day. I should expand on lucky, I didn't see the Aphid until I had the leaf focused, and didn't see the skin under him until I got it back to my computer. So the best sort of luck, and thanks again.