Page 25 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Macro shots

Re: Post your best Macro shots

Looks like your doing about as good with your bug as i am with mine! As for mine, I haven't found a commercial product that works yet ...plus with three dogs, spraying chemicals in the backyard is a problem. So, I guess I'm stuck with holey leaves and rose petals! One thing I saw today though, the birds I attract to the yard like to eat them so I guess there is a natural way to get rid of them!

When I was at Walmart looking for some insect spray for my plants I saw many that listed being able to kill Japanese beetles. Many brands are safe to spray and once the spray dries in an about an hour its safe for pets, and the wild birds. There are also many that are safe to spray on fruit and veggies while they are growing where all you need to do is wash the food before you eat. I bought a cool plant that was doing so well and then one day I came out and it was stripped of just about every leaf it had over night. It basically looked like a skeleton and it broke my heart. I ended up buying The Garden Safe brand insect killer which states its kills on contact where my new plant shows very little signs of being nibbled on. If you have outdoor plants and even indoor insect killer is a must.

My three year old takes care of all the bugs around our house, the only problem is that we

Hi Freelance,

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots
    I sent pictures to a few of the insect sites online and they could not provide any identification.

my guess is its a brown prionid beetle - Orthosoma brunneum

We get them in my neck of the woods too in summer. Quite large - about 3 inches body length. My late cat used to have a ball with them......ha ha ha. I tell you, I think the beetle was tougher than the cat!

Cheers,

Damian

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x550/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5315.IMG_5F00_2430.jpg[/img]

I found this lying down on the lawn. Usually I thought these flowers were extremely common and uninteresting but this one seemed special.

The guys at bugguide.net suggested that its a male Prionus Imbricornis or Tiled-horned Prionus. I had never seen one like this before but I have not lived in Arkansas that long plus I've only been living on the other city limits for about a year. Thanks Damian for your info.

The one that I photographed was about 1 1/2 inches long and he really creeped me out. It would take a lot for me to let one crawl across my arm or in my hand.

The Orthosoma brunneum have some big mandibles as I would not want to get pinched by one. I could see how it looks pretty close to the Prionus Imbricornis but the main difference is the anntenae with the different segments and it seems to be longer.

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/ insect by freelanceshots, on Flickr:550:0]

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots
    The guys at bugguide.net suggested that its a male Prionus Imbricornis or Tiled-horned Prionus.

Ya! Sure looks like it. What a great website!

BTW awesome shot - that 100mm Macro is amazing (and your technique too). I recently tried out the 500d close-up lens on my 50 1.4 and was really happy but looking at what your 100mm can do is just awesome.

Happy bug shooting.

Damian

Just found this old one, shot with my POS P&S at 1cm macro.

Bumblebees making more bumblebees.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1200x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2352.p5060534s.jpg[/img]
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

A Rose taken at a friends house, I misted some water on and it made more dramatic.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3286.IMG_5F00_0107_5F00_DxO-reduced.JPG[/img]

MD 50mm f/1.7 and 60D.

Cheers,

John.

Spider that I took a moment to photograph while out in the wilderness late night. Breeze was blowing its web in and out where focus was a crap shoot.

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/ central arkansas spider by freelanceshots, on Flickr:550:0]