Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to take on an all day nature hike?

Re: What to take on an all day nature hike?

Wish I could go too! You

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    After reading this thread at work, I picked up the deep woods extra strong OFF, bottled water, sanitary hand gel and a small first aid kit after work. Tomorrow I'll pick up the power bars & sunscreen (although I plan on staying pretty well covered most of the time to avoid ticks although it is going to be 80 degrees)!

Don't forget the most important item, toilet paper. Poison ivy and oak can give a terrible rash.

I try and stick with this principle when packing in. Pick a task and pack for it, say bird photos. Pick a secondary thing if you want, take one other lens but not all the accessories, just what you need if a situation arises. Never try to do three things, like bird landscape and macro all together. I find I just end up wearing myself out carrying stuff. After I get there I find most of my pictures are of what I came after.

Leave the other gear in the car, if you decide to go landscape instead of birds, readjust your gear accordingly.

Deep Woods off get the wipes instead, why carry a can around, it is extra weight.

Sanitary hand gel? seriously. Sounds like my wife packing :P

Weight matters with hikes, thats why people pay hundreds of dollars extra to get a tent that is just a few ounces lighter.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Sanitary hand gel? seriously. Sounds like my wife packing :P

LOL! Well, that was for after I get all this plastic melting OFF on my hands! Thank goodness I don't wear fake nails!

Poison Ivy & Oak!? Thank you for reminding me about that ...I guess I better look up what they look like!

This is getting more exciting by the minute! [:S]

Sounds like a good trip....When hiking someplace for the first time, I carry the least amount of photography gear as possible. Sometimes only one lens, but usually two. I would recommend no more than the 100-400L and the 17-50. Macro is always tempting....but it is hit and miss, so I typically don't bother.

My typical non-photography gear includes a map of the area, a compass (even if you are on trails, now and again, it is just nice to know which way is North), a flashlight/headlamp, a knife or multipurpose tool, first aid kit, extra pair of good socks (always the first to get wet, recommend wool if you have them), waterproof matches , a cell phone (it is goofy how many places have coverage), and cloths that can be layered. I echo the comments on bug spray, but once it has "dried" it isn't a problem. So, take all plastic things off, spray on, let dry, and you should be fine. I think sunscreen was mentioned. Snack foods, water are a must....I find that gatoraide or vitamin waters really do help if you are doing anything strenuous.

Have a great hike.

EDIT: Not only do we have disappearing photos, but text too. I had edited this post and the edit is gone.

Anyway, I was thinking about this more and just wanted to mention that I often have 2-3x moregear in mycarthanI plan to carry. For example, I havemultiplejackets and rain gearin thecar that I may or may not pack with me. Sometimes a change of cloths. The other thing I wanted to mention, but for blisters, try moleskin. You'll need scissors/knife to cut it to shape, but if you have a hot spot/blister forming, slapping some mole skin over it should really help.

What a day and what a place!! This place is huge! Thousands of GBH, Great Egrets and Pelicans! Not to mention the other birds that I don