Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lens Upgrades

Re: Lenses and Body Upgrades

Has anyone here used he 50mm F/1.8? It sounds interesting mostly because of the price. I don't hardly have money to spend and on top of that I really don't worry left right and up the middle about the sharpness and all that of a lens. Sure I would love L glass but as an amateur it is not the most important. Just would like any thoughts from people out there.

Midget Kangaroo, love it btaylor, I haven't seen to many of them outin the Isa ol mate [] Cute squirrel though.

Scott

There's a few of the sneaky buggers around here mate. You just have to be careful not to get too close or they'll spit Western Taipans at you. There's not much use for them though because us Mount Isansare too big to ride in their pouches [:P]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

To many years undergorund blowing stuff up, yeah you can keep your western taipans, we're happy with the browns, they don't chase you when there ticked off, as much. Have you got any other HDR photos mate, I really liked the one you did a few months ago I think, it was a water / river scene on dusk if I recall.

Scott

Haven't done a lot of HDR work lately mate. This is one I took couple of months back though. Don't worry we've got plenty of brown snakes our here as well. Nearly lost my border collie to one a fortnight ago. Enjoy.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/Moondarra-HDR_5F00_TDP.jpg[/img]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming

Has anyone here used he 50mm F/1.8? It sounds interesting mostly because of the price. I don't hardly have money to spend and on top of that I really don't worry left right and up the middle about the sharpness and all that of a lens. Sure I would love L glass but as an amateur it is not the most important. Just would like any thoughts from people out there.

I've got both the 85/1.8, which seems to be the best Canon lens in the EUR 400,- price range regarding any quality measure you throw at it, and the 50/1.8 II. In my experience the 50 comes pretty close to the 85 in optical quality — when it's in a good mood, which means that the AF is having a good day; or when I use manual focus… If 50mm is a focal length that is useful to you, go for it, it's surely good enough to give you an introduction into working with a good prime.

Colin

Thanks Colin,

I borrowed the 85mm a few months ago from a friend and was thoroughly impressed with it. Therefore if you think that the 50mm f/1.8 is similar I will start to save up those pennies. I don't have a supper great lens right now as far as optics and I found working with the prime I composed pictures that were of much more interest since I was limited by my focal length.

Also btaylor love all the work you put into those HDRs. They are really cool. I have to say that this one is especially cool in my opinion since I really like sunrises. Keep them coming!

Thanks all,

Samuel