Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shying away from used gear

Re: Shying away from used gear

Well, personally, I don't want to buy into someone else's problems. Granted, MOST people have good luck with used stuff, and MOST people are going to be honest enough. Another thing, people like me are just anal, and want untouched equipment. I like even ordering things online, because the place I usually order from (cameta.com by the way is an awesome place to go) sends a box out of storage, and nobody has been looking at it. haha I know that's a little anal but.....to each his own.

What happens to all the lenses folks return because they aren't "sharp copies"? Do they throw them back in new stock? Sell them as opened box?Do they get sent back to factory? Do they get check and sold as new? Do they get refurbed and sold as?

Keith

Not sure, but my first batch of equipment from Cameta Camera had a kit 50-250 that was blurry to the point that I believed it was defective, and they took it back no questions. Perhaps they put it back, but either way they didn't stick me with it! hah

I wouldn't know what any particular seller does, but based on my human experience, I would guess that they might check it out, and if nothing is obviously wrong (i.e, there's a good chance somebody else wouldn't notice the problem), they probably just rebox it and sell it to somebody else. Reality is, I suspect, that while everybody wants the 'good' stuff, most people wouldn't know what to look for. I suspect that's why most insist that everything is 'as new' for return (don't fill out the warranty card, all packing materials, etc.)

To be fair, many defects may in fact the user error, or simply product performance 'features' (like the 50mm f/1.2L unavoidable backfocus issues), and sending them back to Canon would be a real waste of time.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Apparently plenty of people have absolutely no problem with used gear; otherwise the resale prices would drop. The high resale is what the market will bear.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]My main two problems with used gear are: <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]1) Not much money to be saved due to the high resale.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]2) I'm paranoid of dealing with individuals online, even or especially, on E-bay.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]I&rsquo;d consider used in a heartbeat if I could see the item in person and the savings were fairly considerable, relative to the overall cost involved. <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]I buy from Adorama&rsquo;s refurbished list quite frequently and have considered their used gear but haven&rsquo;t taken that plunge yet.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I&rsquo;d love to get one of <st1:city w:st="on"]<st1lace w:st="on"]Bryan</st1lace></st1:city>&rsquo;s used pieces but haven&rsquo;t been in the buying mood at the right time. <o></o>

T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy

When I got home and attached it to my camera and looked through the
    viewfinder, I saw it had two black dots. The lens was a refurb. I was
    surprised to see black dots/specks in the lens.

Seeing black dots in a lens through the viewfinder is unusual according to my limited experience. My 24-70L has a rather noticeable dust inside it but I don't realize anything at all in my viewfinder. It does not seem to show up in my images even at F11 or F16. However, I do see black dots in my viewfinder because my focusing screen inside the camera body has dust on it - that's 99% of the black dots I see through my viewfinder. They're rather easy to clean too.

You can have a simple check by unmount the lens and then look through the viewfinder under good lighting at a white wall. If the black dots are still there rather in focus while everything else are just white, it's the dust on the focusing screen not in the lens.

After reading this I attached one of my other lens and the black dots are in the same place. [img]/emoticons/emotion-7.gif[/img] I have a 35mm film camera. How do I get the black dots off?

I found a tiny black dot today, but I think it's just a piece of dirt. Also, something to try....take your lens off and look through the finder. Look towards a light, then pan away. There is a piece of glass or something, that has a texture to it. With the lens on, it can make it look like microscopic specs. At least, that's how it looks on mine.

Maybe that will help?

I had this problem with my 40D after heavy dusty environ use. What happens is dust gets inside the mirror box and on the inside of the focus screen, this also happens with the automatic sensor cleaning.

Best way to fix: remove thefocus screen, use a blow gun and blow out themirror box andfocusscreen area. Wipe the screen itself with a microfibre cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811

<span style="font-size:9pt;color:black;font-family:Verdana;"]Apparently plenty of people have absolutely no problem with used gear; otherwise the resale prices would drop. The high resale is what the market will bear.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes;"]

<span style="font-size:9pt;color:black;font-family:Verdana;"]My main two problems with used gear are:

<span style="font-size:9pt;color:black;font-family:Verdana;"]1) Not much money to be saved due to the high resale.

<span style="font-size:9pt;color:black;font-family:Verdana;"]2) I'm paranoid of dealing with individuals online, even or especially, on E-bay.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes;"]

<span style="font-size:9pt;color:black;font-family:Verdana;"]I&rsquo;d consider used in a heartbeat if I could see the item in person and the savings were fairly considerable, relative to the overall cost involved.

<span style="font-size:9pt;color:black;font-family:Verdana;"]I buy from Adorama&rsquo;s refurbished list quite frequently and have considered their used gear but haven&rsquo;t taken that plunge yet.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes;"] I&rsquo;d love to get one of Bryan&rsquo;s used pieces but haven&rsquo;t been in the buying mood at the right time.

That's another good point. If I can buy a used lens for $850, and the new counterpart is $1000.....I'm just going to spend the extra buck fifty, and have something I KNOW has a warantee (thanks for that WHOLE YEAR Canon) and know has never been used. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSierra
    <span>I&rsquo;d love to get one of Bryan&rsquo;s used pieces but haven&rsquo;t been in the buying mood at the right time.

Do you mean purchasing Bryan's used gear that he uses for testing and reviewing?

Yes, He places them up fro sale from time to time.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9