Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Video with a 7D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Video with a 7D

Well, I took the camera into the back yard for a test run -----throwing the ball for my dogs. Should be similar to the shooting environment I am planning, i.e. bright sunlight, dark subjects, lots of action.-----Shooting parameters:

Lens 24-105L, HD-24fps, Manual focus,IS off, white balance set to sunlight, iso 200, Highlight tone priority enabled, shutter 160th, aperture 9.0.

With these settings the color, whitebalance seemed very good. Depth of field was fairly deep and seemed to maintain reasonable focus through30ft range.

The video wasn't as smooth as I would like it but it wasn't bad.

The problem---when I converted the MOV to AVI, the video became very choppy and lost some of the color and clarity. I converted with MPEG Streamclip 1.2---

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    Lens 24-105L, HD-24fps, Manual focus,IS off, white balance set to sunlight, iso 200, Highlight tone priority enabled, shutter 160th, aperture 9.0.

I always thought the extra options like HTP etc didn't work with video, are you sure it works?

With these settings the color, whitebalance seemed very good. Depth of field was fairly deep and seemed to maintain reasonable focus through30ft range.

Sounds good.

Try a slower shutterspeed. From what I've heard it gives you more fluid dynamics, but again I'm not 100% sure. I say just check out some settings, you've got plenty of light to try shooting at high shutterspeeds and/or low shutterspeeds and compare them.

Good luck! (I tried some video at a little bandconcert fridaynight at iso 12800 with my 5D2...pfff cool footage, but the noise is killing...) I have to search on how to downsize etc...

but I'll keep trying some video, I got exited by a few persons on here []

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    I always thought the extra options like HTP etc didn't work with video, are you sure it works?

Yep, Works fine in video, the only issue is that ISO is limited to between 200 and 6400.

Try a slower shutterspeed. From what I've heard it gives you more fluid dynamics, but again I'm not 100% sure. I say just check out some settings, you've got plenty of light to try shooting at high shutterspeeds and/or low shutterspeeds and compare them.

I did that on a second and third take and the smoothness did improve.---I think the 7D owners manual even says to shoot between 50 and 125. It also improved when I reduced the resolution and shot at 60fps.---So I'll I have to play some more to figure out what I like the best.

(I tried some video at a little bandconcert fridaynight at iso 12800 with my 5D2...pfff cool footage, but the noise is killing...) I have to search on how to downsize etc...

I had the same problem when I shot a night football game---but DPP's noise reduction seemed to help quite a bit---I haven't got a clue on how to reduce noise in video. I am still stuck on converting MOV to AVI without loss of quality.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

The video will always be shaky, it's an unfortunate side-effect. So, to counter this, like Sheiky said try lowering the shutter to about 1/60-1/80. It usually runs a bit smoother there, and even though its hard to contort your body, try and keep the camera as close to you as possible. Tuck your elbows in against your chest to use as support. Remember, while a dSLR is light, the further you hold it away from you the more it weighs. So it may not physically feel any lighter closer to your body you will definitely see a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bob wiliams

The problem---when I converted the MOV to AVI, the video became very choppy and lost some of the color and clarity. I converted with MPEG Streamclip 1.2---
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Unfortunately MOV and AVI don't really get along very well... Perhaps try an MPEG codec? Say MPEG2 is usually good quality. Try that and see if that helps at all...

Mike

Some good comments in the thread. I bought the 5d mark ii for the video.

A tripod is essential. So is some eyepiece so that you can get the best focus using live view.

I use an Expodisc for exquisite white balance. Point it at the light source and custom WB to it.

SHOOT AS LITTLE FOOTAGE as possible. Economize. Otherwise you will be drowning in post production manipulating enormous files. Economize in your shooting, be prepared and then just get the great shots. Believe me, you don't have the computer power to process the enormous swap files you are going to create shooting excess video.

Quote Originally Posted by mdubuque

SHOOT AS LITTLE FOOTAGE as possible. Economize. Otherwise you will be drowning in post production manipulating enormous files. Economize in your shooting, be prepared and then just get the great shots.

I disagree. From a video point of view always shoot more than you plan on using because if you shoot the minimum you will always run out of usable footage. Its Murphy's Law. If you're really worried about how much space to save then use the editing feature of the 7D and trim the front and end of the clips till the "action" starts on the camera while you're still out on your shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89

SHOOT AS LITTLE FOOTAGE as possible. Economize. Otherwise you will be drowning in post production manipulating enormous files. Economize in your shooting, be prepared and then just get the great shots.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I disagree. From a video point of view always shoot more than you plan on using because if you shoot the minimum you will always run out of usable footage. Its Murphy's Law. If you're really worried about how much space to save then use the editing feature of the 7D and trim the front and end of the clips till the "action" starts on the camera while you're still out on your shoot.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

In my case, I think Mike is correct---Since I won't have the opportunity for redo's I have to try and catch anything remotely usable. For my purposes, I expect to have 10-12 hours of video and probably 200 stills for a 30min-1 hour finished product.---thank goodness I am not using film.

Bob
    Bob

Gentlemen, you are entitled to your opinion. But you may reconsider when you actually start rendering actual files. These files are absolutely massive.

Conceptually, I think the situation is analogous to what Ansel Adams experienced being only able to carry 8-12 8 inch by 8 inch view camera exposure plates up into the Sierra. He learned to wait for the best shot.

Talk to the people at Apple. As an example of the size of the video files involved, I would be very surprised if you found one who recommends doing it on a MacBook.

Conceptually, think "Avatar". That's my view. I ask that before you form decisive opinions on this subject that you actually load and render some of thes massive video files yourself.

As an example of the size of the video files involved, I would be very surprised if you found one who recommends doing it on a MacBook.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Are you saying that he should or shouldn't use a MacBook? Bob is using a PC whereas I'm using a MacBookPro. I've been editing for quite a long time and have never had problems with my MBP. I've even had to edit on a 128mb ram mac. Slow, but worked fantastically and never crashed.

Plus, with a 12min max recording time and max of 4Gb of a file-size that's not a big deal. Storage is cheap. Most clips I deal with at work are about 50-60GB and they still run perfectly fine on my machine.

Bob, glad to hear that NeoScene worked out for you.

Video does get pricey. [] Like $100,000 for a news videographer package is on the cheap side of things so yeah... kind of a bit more than photography, and that's even before you get into the post-processing environment. Let us know how your upgrades are running!

Mike

Gentlemen, you are entitled to your opinion. But you may reconsider when you actually start rendering actual files. These files are absolutely massive.

Sorry MD, Didn't mean to dis your idea--I think it's absolutey valid. Unfortunately I am shooting correctional officers in training and from moment to moment, I really don't know what they are going to be doing---so there is not alot of planning I can do nor do I have the opportunity to set up my shots. So in this case, my best hope is to get as much footage as possible. In fact, I don't always know if I will be shooting indoors or out.I even to have to adjust white balance and exposure on the fly. The nice thing about my situation is that I have 3 opportunities to shoot the same thing----I have 3 different teams doing the same training during 3 different weeks. So I will be able to limit my footage based on what I have already shot (and am happy with). With this in mind, I should be able to apply some of your recommendations.

Thanks---I do value your input.

Bob
    Bob