Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just another Rumor, Canon Lens Price Increase

Re: Just another Rumor, Canon Lens Price Increase

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston
    But this year pretty much every expensive super-tele had a rebate. Compared to historical data, this year has seen plentiful rebates on super-teles.

Third, something else that hasn't crossed my mind.

Third: Their marketing dept. figured out it was the best way to inflict us with the "L" disease. They know after that ...we'll be back eventually ...rebate or no rebate! [6]

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

But this year pretty much every expensive super-tele had a rebate. Compared to historical data, this year has seen plentiful rebates on super-teles.

Third, something else that hasn't crossed my mind.

Third: Their marketing dept. figured out it was the best way to inflict us with the "L" disease. They know after that ...we'll be back eventually ...rebate or no rebate! [img]/emoticons/emotion-14.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Ha ha.....I am sure Denise is right. [6]

Another thought, they were playing around with the super-tele prices via rebatesto help better gauge the demand for the super-teles at different prices so that they could better set expectations and prices of the new super-teles. Or.....clearing inventory to make way for the new super-teles.

BTW...this thread is really making me want to buy the 100 macroL before Feb 1.....and I haven't even received my flash yet. [:@] I guess for6% (13% based on current amazon price) I can be "good" andwait. David's link was very helpful, looks like the 100 macroL almost always is included in the rebates.

Well, Rumor or not, the 500L just went up by $300 since I last checked. I was almost in the position to get one, and now this? #$%^&amp;* Canon Marketing Execs
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    Well, Rumor or not, the 500L just went up by $300 since I last checked. I was almost in the position to get one, and now this? #$%^&amp;* Canon Marketing Execs

Its just $300 bucks Bob, by the time you buy the lens, get the new Gitzo Tripod to hold that baby up, new Wimberley II head, 52mm circular polarizer, huge new backpack to carry that thing in, nice new Gitzo Monopod to use with it....you won't miss the additional 300 bucks. (Did I forget anything? Maybe the 4 grand it will cost to upgrade to the 500mm II version)

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Its just $300 bucks Bob, by the time you buy the lens, get the new Gitzo Tripod to hold that baby up, new Wimberley II head, 52mm circular polarizer, huge new backpack to carry that thing in, nice new Gitzo Monopod to use with it....you won't miss the additional 300 bucks. (Did I forget anything? Maybe the 4 grand it will cost to upgrade to the 500mm II version)

Rick

Rick, You forgot the Realtree Max 4 Lens Coat. Since I already have my Gitzo, The cost of the package (Lens, Wimberly II, Polorizer and Lens Coat and 2 day delivery)---$7,264-Ouch[:'(]

bob

Bob

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

There are still stores selling it for $6140, not everyone's gone up. www.canonpricewatch.com/product/00036/Canon-EF-500mm-f4L-IS-USM-price.html

As also mentioned on that page, the new price of this lens is pegged
    at $6631, so there is still another $350 of price increases to come, if
    you're sitting on the fence...

You forgot the Realtree Max 4 Lens Coat. Since I already have my Gitzo, The cost of the package (Lens, Wimberly II, Polorizer and Lens Coat and 2 day delivery)---$7,264-Ouch

Bob

I will give you some salesman logic here so you can see how you can afford it now. Do you have a membership in a health club? Well if you dobuy the 500mm lens and cancel that membership and save that money. You won't need it, after carrying that huge 10 pound camera lens combination around all day you will have all the exercise you need. (of course you will need to put some added weight in your wallet to make up for the 72 hundered dollar bills you take out.

Rick