Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 40D Shutter Release Button Not Working

Re: 40D Shutter Release Button Not Working

My girlfriend just got her 40D back from Canon NJ. $180 (listed as just labor) plus tax and shipping, and they replaced the "dial assembly". Interesting that there's no parts charge. We also recently got our 16-35/2.8II back from Canon NJ - $90 (listed as just labor)+T/S, and they replaced the filter ring assembly. Maybe parts have a lifetime warranty or something, because I can't fathom why they aren't charging for them.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Just to update this page, I went ahead and tore my 40D camera down to get to the shutter button mechanism. The whole thing went as planned and so far I am really happy with the out come. Have not put the camera through its paces to see if this fix will hold up for any length of time but if it doesn't then I know I can take it back apart and order a new shutter button from Canon. Still a good camera body where I don't feel the urgency to upgrade to one of the newer crop bodies just yet.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.66/40D_2D00_Tear_2D00_down_2D00_2.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.66/40D_2D00_Tear_2D00_down.jpg[/img]

I had the same problem in addition to the ISO button not working. I sent my camera under-warranty to canon and they fixed it for for and payed for shipping both ways.

mine was out of warranty and that's why I even considered taking it apart.