Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indecisive newbie can't decide on glass to start his collection.

Re: Indecisive newbie can't decide on glass to start his collection.

Gah. I still haven

I wouldn

Erm... thank-you qwRad, I've managed to find the 600D + 15-85mm for just over £1,000 at digitalrev.com

It's almost impossible to search for it, searching for "600D" or "15-85mm" finds very few results, so no idea how I've found it, but I've bookmarked it!

The only thing is, all their prices seem to be a good £50-100 cheaper than Amazon, which not only seems just a little too good to be true, but also means the two together only works out as a £25 saving compared to buying them seperately. Do DigitalRev have a decent reputation?

If this is a temporary deal or something it'll convince me to buy the two together.

Don't know about them, haven't bought anything from there. I live in Finland and over here everything camera related is pretty expensive compared to rest of the Europe/World. I have ordered some lenses from www.fotemia.de and www.cameranu.nl and they were very good both regarding price and shipping. I have found www.geizhals.eu to be a good site for price comparisons in EU.

For £25 the saving is much less than I would have imagined, maybe the 15-85mm price bought alone has dropped significantly from the last time I checked. It's a good lens nevertheless, perfect focal length for an all-around lens, excellent IS and good image quality for my 7D but I eventually ended up selling it since I wanted something that is weather sealed and/or a little faster and also hope to buy a used 5D2 as a second/first body as soon as I get the cash together. I also tested the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS briefly in a shop on my 7D and frankly I wasn't very impressed with it compared to my 17-40L and 70-200 f/4.0 L IS but that might be because of the demo lens in question and also I would have to shoot with one for at least a day to get a real sense of the performance.

As a side note I have an Asus Transformer android tablet on order from www.simplyelectronics.net (ordered on 26th of june) but that is a more debated shop, they usually quote "1-2 day" shipping times but it can take as long as 3-4 weeks to get your order. Some also complain that it takes forever for a refund if you need one. Their prices are really "too good to be true" though. The consensus on the forums is that they import grey market products from Hong Kong and sell them from their UK based warehouse so EU buyers won't have to pay taxes. On some Finnish forums people have had both positive and negative comments about the shop and I decided to take a risk since I wasn't in a real hurry to get the tablet. Paid with a credit card so there's no real risk of losing my money if the product doesn't arrive. I will let you know in my "Best tablet for a photographer thread" when/if I eventually get it.

damn, i replied to this a few hours ago and didn
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Hi Ham, I've traveled the same path you're on regarding camera and lens choices. I also spent hours and hours reading the reviews on this site.

When I made my purchase the 350D was the current model. I bought this body as a kit with the 18-55 and 75-300. These were not great lenses and when I got a 50mm 1.8 I was like a blind man that could now see. Some time later I got the 17-55 2.8.

Two important points have been raised in this thread that I would like to second:

Jan said you could get a few very good lenses for the price of a 17-55 2.8. This is something to weigh very carefully when starting out. I never really regretted buying the 17-55 as a beginner but it left me with a tight focal range and no money to by any other gear - for years! (I would also like to add my view that lenses conform to the law of diminishing returns. In other words the image quality does not increase proportionally to the price. Well not in a linear fashion at least. In other words there may be a huge price difference between a very nice lens and its very excellent counterpart, but you are unlikely to see this difference matched in the image quality. Whereas at the other end of the spectrum when upgrading from a poor quality kit lens you will find that a modest investment will yield a considerable increase in image quality , try the 50mm 1.8 from an early 18-55, you'll see what I mean. So the question is: Where do you want to enter in on the Quality vs Cost curve?)

Neuro raised the other point; there are some other very important parts of your kit such as a stable tripod that will need to be included in your budget. A good tripod is part of the equation when striving for image quality. Add to that hoods and filters etc.

To answer a few other points in this discussion:

The Canon hood for a 17-55mm 2.8 can be purchased from ebay. Mine cost $2.50.

I sold my 18-55 and 75-300 on ebay for AU$110 and $200 respectively but I estimate their true values to be about half this - I just got lucky.

The xxxD bodies are small. With a lens like the 17-55mm the small size of the body is not really an advantage and makes it hard (IMO) to hold the combined weight securely. People with big hands often struggle. My XXD feels better with bigger lenses.

I don

I wouldn

I honestly think that for the price, the 15-85mm is what I need. It really doesn

In terms of IQ, the 17-55mm and the 15-85mm are pretty similar, both very good. The 15-85mm has more barrel distortion at the wide end, a consequence of it