Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EF 400 f/4 L IS USM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

EF 400 f/4 L IS USM

Alright Canon - The time is now. The 400 f/4 DO is awesome, except the DO technology, IMO, isn't quite there in terms of contrast and saturation. Many find the weight of the 400 f/2.8 IS over the top for hiking, or where any quick moving is required. So, we're left with a few compromises to make: Weight, or image quality?

Why not neither. Why not make a 400 f/4 L IS? Here's my vision:

As the newest addition to Canon's renowned series of professional super telephoto lenses, the EF 400 f/4 L IS is a relatively portable, ultra high performance telephoto lens with a wide f/4 aperture. Implemented with Canon's latest Image Stabalizer, the EF 400 f/4 L IS corrects camera shake by an effective 4 stops, and can be programmed to correct only vertical shake with IS mode 2. UD (Ultra-low Dispersion), Super-UD, and Flourite elements are utilized to correct secondary chromatic abberations. Super-spectra coatings are used to maximize contrast and colour balance. With its rugged magesium-alloy construction, this lens is built to professional standards, and complements weather sealing when used with EOS 1D and 1V, along with EF "II" teleconverters.

Alright Canon, I just gave you the product description. Now, make it!

Re: EF 400 f/4 L IS USM

+1!

I've also been thinking that it'd be awesome if Canon could make a "traditional" (i.e., no DO) 400m f/4 IS. If it was priced reasonably (<=$2,000), I'd buy it instantly!

Tony

I'd want one. Anywhere near $2000 and I'd get it automatically. But if canon's other telephotos are any indication, it would cost a lot more than that.

+2!

I would second that Tony! I would also consider the 500 f/5.6 IS L that people mention. Just keep it light and <=$2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by EdN
    I would second that Tony! I would also consider the 500 f/5.6 IS L that people mention. Just keep it light and <=$2,000.

I want that, too

FWIW, I'd prefer to see a 200-400/4L IS USM ($3,000?) and a 70-300/4L IS USM (under $1500?). But, I wouldn't complain if Canon did introduce a non-DO 400/4L IS USM.

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 6pt;"]

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]ShutterbugJohan<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Good choice! <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]200 - 400 f4 IS.

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]A 400 fixed is too limiting for general outdoor photography. <o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]As far as price, IS cost about $500 more than non-IS, so the lens should go for $1700 to $2000 max to be a fair value. Considering that you can buy the current 100-400 IS zoom new for $1379.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The proposed 200 &ndash; 400 should be a lot better than the current 100 - 400 lens.<o></o>

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Printezis
    If it was priced reasonably (&lt;=$2,000), I'd buy it instantly!

I would, too! But, based on Canon's track record with their super telephotos, I expect an MSRP in the range of anywhere from $2000 to $4000.

Even at $3500, and my high school budget, I would want one, and be willing to save money to get one.

In terms of specs, I'd expect image and optical quality as good as or better than the best (current []) L lenses. If Canon were to go through with this, I predict all of the super telephoto features - Weather sealing, protective front element, focus recall, etc.

I find that 400 f/4 is a good aperture/weight/size combination. I wouldn't imagine it to be too heavy, maybe a little heavier than the 300 2.8 L IS. F/4 is fast enough for many lighting conditions, and provides very nice bokeh with the 400mm focal length.

This could very well end up being a very succesfull outdoor sports, bird, and wildlife lens.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]You would think this was a serious forum, but the next advances in serious lens technology will be <span lang="EN" style="mso-ansi-language: EN;"]manufactured by injection molding of a<span lang="EN"] &ldquo;plastic&rdquo; lens elements &ndash; a possible &ldquo;hybrid lens&rdquo;.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]A number of manufactures have been experimenting with non-glass elements, providing a lighter and much less costly lens.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Therefore, every element could be aspheric if required. Is the optic quality High? It is getting very close.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]So is Canon going to make one?

Alan

I doubt this will happen.

First, plastic degrades. No one will buy a lens that eventually breaks down, due to exposure to UV.

Second, it's got a problem with expansion and contraction that is worse than the glass.

Third, it will scratch more easily, making handling it in day-to-day environments problematic.

Fourth, depending on the polymer, it will slowly yellow on exposure to UV, changing the color of the image right out of the camera.

Fifth, many polymers are "hazed" by exposure to certain solvents, chemicals, etc. This increases its chance of being damaged.