Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Train Depot Self-Portrait

Re: Train Depot Self-Portrait

I used to be a freelance home tutor for high school and college mathematics. Typically this line of work involves a lot of travel, dealing with uncooperative kids, and some very unpredictable parents. I would set an hourly rate or sometimes a rate per session. And the problem I found was that I wasn't getting a lot of business because I was not charging enough. I was looking too desperate, basically. I would hear from some parents that the typical going rate was something like $50-75/hour for services I was providing for half that cost.

I stopped doing it because I realized that even at the higher rate there were too many peripheral costs that made the whole endeavor questionable.

From that experience, I also came to the conclusion that I would never do fine art or photography on a freelance or self-employed basis. In other words, I vowed I would never pin my financial stability on something that I felt passionate about. It sounds unfortunate and rather pessimistic, sure. But why would I ever take something I truly love to do, and make my livelihood depend on it? To me, that's a surefire way to suck all the inspiration and freedom to create out of it.

My friends and relatives tell me ALL THE TIME that I need to do this for a living. They see how exhausted and drained I am from working a desk job. But they don't understand that I can't feed myself with my passion for art. The ability to decide when and how to engage in the creative process is a necessity. If I don't feel like taking a photo, I don't take it. Otherwise, it looks like crap. On the other hand, if I don't feel like sitting at a desk staring at Excel spreadsheets, I can get up, take a break, come back, slog through it, and at the end of the day, I'm still paid.

Now I'm not saying you gotta give up doing photography as a career. That's just my own personal experience. But if you are making a career out of your art, you have to understand that your success has far more to do with your business acumen than your artistic talent or uniqueness. The sad truth is that in this world, the exceptionally gifted are rarely discovered, and when they are, are even more rarely commensurately recognized and rewarded for what they bring forth. In this world, it is the conventional and the plain that sells because people are naturally risk-averse and don't want "different"--they want "predictable."

What does this mean for you? Well, I can tell right away that your style of photography is of a rarefied caliber. You are definitely not Sears portrait studio and your clients are NOT going to Wal-Mart to make their prints. Sadly that eliminates about 90% of the people out there. The 10% who do look for what you offer are those who are willing to pay for it. My tutoring clients were nearly all extremely affluent families with property values in the millions. To them, the difference between $75/hour and $35/hour is not $40/hour, but instead is the difference between "This guy knows what he's doing" versus "Why is he charging so low unless he's untrustworthy?" It has nothing to do with how good you are, and everything to do with how convincingly you sell yourself. A gallery curator could probably take some of your images, do a limited print run, hang them on a wall, and sell them each for at least a grand. I've seen some downright crappy photos that, had I taken them myself, I would've deleted them right off the card...and there they are hanging in some snooty hipster gallery with triple- or quadruple-digit price tags.

Value is extremely subjective. And that is another reason why I don't try to earn my living off my art, because in the end, the only valuation I really care about is my own. When I let others care it leads to complications, insecurity, and disappointment. But again, I'm not telling you to put up with staring at Excel spreadsheets. Just to realize that if you want to make your art your business, the operative word there is business.

Good luck! []

I've been told I should be doing this for a living, but I flat out refuse to do so. I do it as a second job, which means I can take the jobs I want and refuse what I don't want. I've got a day job that pays the bills. It's steady, and relatively secure. I don't want my livelihood to depend on photography--1) because it's not steady work and 2) because then I would feel like I had to be doing it, rather than simply wanting to. I think if I was doing it as a career, and my meals were dependent upon it, then photography would seem like work (which it doesn't now).

Basically, I just use the money I make doing photography jobs for pocket money or else to buy more gear. That said, right now I'd like more pocket money and gear. ;-)

I get your point, though, wickerprints. Right now, I need to work on being a better businessman than a better photographer. I've got what it takes to decently supplement my income, I'm just not realizing that cash flow--largely due to the fact that I want to give everyone a fantastic deal. If I start charging what the pictures are worth, I'd probably get some decent clients (and more often).

By the way, my desk job's not so bad. I actually created some Visual Basic programs to do parts of my job for me. I took about 3-4 hours of work in one process and compressed it down to about 35 minutes (20 minutes of that I don't even have to be at my desk). I took another 40 minute process and automated it so that I press a button, go get coffee, come back and it's finishing up. I built macros in Excel to take care of alot of the prep work for reports that was done manually before I took it over. I'm amazingly productive for as little as I actually do!

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Sean
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]The general public is a fickle thing as you know.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] My work does not compare to yours by a long shot, you have a gift ol mate, but as you know the majority don&rsquo;t see it.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] You will do your head in if you try and figure them out.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I&rsquo;m not sure how big your home town is where you are but here a majority of people (adults) aren&rsquo;t interested in looking at a computer to view my web site. I can offer all the deals under the sun and they just give a polite smile and &ldquo;yeah we&rsquo;ll get back to you&rdquo;.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I did a letter drop and got two clients out of it.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]I&rsquo;m trying a different approach now which has gained some interest.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Market, look at who you need to sell to and dumb it down a bit, the KISS principle.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] In my case it&rsquo;s women (mothers, mothers to be, babies, young women etc etc) you will never sell to a bloke, most men don&rsquo;t care about looking good and posing for a photo.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I am starting to approach beauty salons and advertise with them, get a package deal going.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Women love to look good so I offer a glamour package, hair and make up done by the professionals, me to take the photos.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I&rsquo;ve just got a gig taking the school photos for our local school, not rocket science stuff in regards to creativity, but that is all they want.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] My aim is to get them happy with the basic photos them steer them towards my creative side with the formal photos, outside of the school.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] If I get it right they will talk, and word of mouth is the key.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I am also going to go to the local markets, promote my goods and put them on the spot.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] &ldquo;If you like my work why don&rsquo;t come in for a session&rdquo;, &ldquo;I&rsquo;ll book a date for you NOW&rdquo;.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] &ldquo;Have you seen our hair and makeup deal, you would love even more beautiful then you do now&rdquo;, blah blah blah.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] &ldquo;Normally I charge $50 an hour but today I&rsquo;ll cut that in half for you&rdquo;.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Women love to be pretty, men love a deal.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Well I&rsquo;ve rambled on long enough.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Sean you will have those days as you know, and you are a professional, your work is out standing, I only wish I was as half as good as you.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Meet and greet, face to face with the villagers and word of mouth will spread.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]All the best mate.

Thank you for the encouraging words and advice. Always appreciated. And beauty salons--that's an incredibly good idea!

"Check out the latest shoot I did last weekend. Maternity set. They turned out relatively good."

Sean, these shots are beautiful. i love B&amp;W and the last one is something I am pining to achieve. this is so well done.[Y]

Quote Originally Posted by BES

"Check out the [url="http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=maternity&amp;w=22336705%40N08]latest shoot[/url] I did last weekend. Maternity set. They turned out relatively good."

Sean, these shots are beautiful. i love B&amp;W and the last one is something I am pining to achieve. this is so well done.[img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

By "last one," do you mean the one where she's leaning up against the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

By "last one," do you mean the one where she's leaning up against the wall?

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yes, that is the one, it is a great shot. I do not know, but if someone took a picture of me in that state and it came out like that, I would be VERY happy. You are soooo GOOD.....getting green with envy now, I am going to go and cry for a little and trash all my pictures on my computer[:'(]

Generally speaking, everything I do has its inspirational roots in someone else's photo I came across. Being able to recognize the aspects of the images that draw your eye will enable you to re-create those traits in your own images. When that happens, you'll become so enamored with your own work that you'll proudly showcase it for others to learn from and enjoy.

...and possibly your head will get so big that it'll scarcely fit through narrow doors (not that I would know). ;-)

As far as that particular image is concerned, it was quite simply lit with 1 flash and the 28" Westcott Apollo softbox. The softbox allowed me to keep some of the light from spilling onto everything in the image. However, the background was still illuminated too much for my taste, so I did some fairly heavy burning and added some vignetting to draw (and keep) the viewer's attention to the subject.

Sean, I hit post before I had a chance to say why i like it...

You managed to get her skin tones so even in this B&amp;W conversion, shadows on her arm shows such a nice definition and the light just hits in such a way that it brightens her hair, so it makes her look very pretty. I am sure she will be looking at these pictures smiling. Great job.

I wish I knew your secret to B&amp; W conversion, my PS skills suck, I am just starting... [:'(]

Let's see...for the black &amp; white conversion on this series I believe I went to LAYER--&gt;NEW ADJUSTMENT LAYER--&gt;CHANNEL MIXER, Clicked OK, then checked "MONOCHROME." You can adjust the REDS, BLUES, and GREENS separately, but I find the default of REDS at 100% to be very good for creating flattering skin tones while producing pleasing contrast in the image.