Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: On-Line Backup Service

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I read that some services accept hard drives that you mail them for the initial data transfer (you get them back). But that was a while ago, not sure if anyone still offers that.
    If you want to combine the best of both worlds, you back up to a NAS and and let the NAS back up to a cloud service.
    Arnt

8gb per 24 hours, so my 1.6 tb of archived files would take 200 days to load to Just Cloud.

Or is my math wrong. I am glad this was brought up. That wouldn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    8gb per 24 hours, so my 1.6 tb of archived files would take 200 days to load to Just Cloud.

Or is my math wrong. I am glad this was brought up. That wouldn't work for me.
    Actually I have been at this since Sunday evening. So with that in mind, I have uploaded 126 gig in 4 days (96 hours), that comes out to about 31 gig per day-- which is far greater than than what others are reading. Based on that, I am guessing it would take about 45 days for 1.5 TB---even still, that would be unworkable for most people with that much dada.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Actually I have been at this since Sunday evening. So with that in mind, I have uploaded 126 gig in 4 days (96 hours), that comes out to about 31 gig per day-- which is far greater than than what others are reading. Based on that, I am guessing it would take about 45 days for 1.5 TB---even still, that would be unworkable for most people with that much dada.
    It would be unworkable for me. I want an archive more for old files than current. I think the external might be the better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    It would be unworkable for me. I want an archive more for old files than current. I think the external might be the better choice.
    If I were in your shoes, I would agree
    Bob

You guys are lucky, all of the plans I can find in Aus are both Speed and Data Quota caps. Even the NBN (fibre to the home) is still caped.

I included a link to one of our providers, is this cheap to you guys?

http://www.iinet.net.au/nbn/nbn-plan-residential.html
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

I backup to a NAS raid locally but have been looking for offline as well. It has a built-in back offline, but the prices seemed a lot higher than a service that runs from a PC.

PC Magazine has a comparison from March. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288745,00.asp

SOS Online was their Editor's Choice.

I have not tried or researched prices, but some NAS boxes (I use Synology) allow back up to the amazon cloud. I do hourly backups to the NAS, and then the NAS could do a daily backup to the cloud.
    Arnt

I have two home NAS units a QNAP TS-409/4TB (now obsolete) and a QNAP TS-410/5.5TB. The TS-410 is my main home NAS for streaming/storing data, I have everything stored on it (Music, Podcasts, Photos, PC & Laptop Backups, Video Surveillance & Videos).

I have one NAS stored in the house and the other in the garage (separate building). The QNAP NAS has a backup/synchronization application that lets me backup selected directories/files on the main NAS to the backup.

I had intended taking the backup NAS to (TS-409) to my girlfriends place, which is not far away. This way I could schedule a re-sync to the backup as required over Internet. Unfortunately my now ex girlfriend doesn't like that idea any more.... there must be a better way.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss