Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RAW: Keep or Delete?

Re: RAW: Keep or Delete?

KEEP! (As someone above said, it's like throwing away the negatives)

I've found that as my techniques in editing enhance, I go back and redo old images. In fact, I JUST posted a whole bunch of HDR landscapes on Facebook I took almost two years ago with my XSi and kit lens. They looked like crap back then so never showed anyone and now they're sexy! If I hadn't kept them, I would have been S.O.L.! haha..

But I do agree that keeping EVERY file is a bit much. The way I do it, is... first of all I shoot all my LANDSCAPES in full RAW (50D and 7D are my cameras) and I usually bracket them. I have my C2 button bound to "RAW, +3/-3EV, High-Speed Cont, 2sec timer, Av Mode @ f/4 (which I usually change for each shot) ISO 100." However, If I'm just shooting simple snapshots that don't mean a lot I use Med JPEG and if I'm shooting stuff I really like and want to have look good, or anything for a client, I tend to use MedRAW. 18MP is just too much for most shots, especially head & shoulders portraits of one or two people.... Then... import into Lightroom 2 and once the files are in the computer, I delete anything blurry or redundant (neither is usually very much though) and then the rest I rename for the project. THEN.... I get to work editing. Once a project is "done" I deliver the JPEGs in the resolution desired or necessary and when I get 4gb worth of data, I burn a DVD as a backup (of the Lightroom 2 catalog, so I have my edits!) Then.... periodically, I backup my entire Lightroom 2 catalog to a second external HD. I find that I don't like to fill up my HD with extra resolution I don't need, hence shooting in MedRAW, but otherwise KEEP KEEP KEEP is my philosophy!

- Jordan

www.freshphotohawaii.com

Re: RAW: Keep or Delete?

(I have a feeling this is going to post twice... are other people having problems with their first post not posting??)

<div>

KEEP! (As someone above said, it's like throwing away the negatives)

I've found that as my techniques in editing enhance, I go back and redo old images. In fact, I JUST posted a whole bunch of HDR landscapes on Facebook I took almost two years ago with my XSi and kit lens. They looked like crap back then so never showed anyone and now they're sexy! If I hadn't kept them, I would have been S.O.L.! haha..

But I do agree that keeping EVERY file is a bit much. The way I do it, is... first of all I shoot all my LANDSCAPES in full RAW (50D and 7D are my cameras) and I usually bracket them. I have my C2 button bound to "RAW, +3/-3EV, High-Speed Cont, 2sec timer, Av Mode @ f/4 (which I usually change for each shot) ISO 100." However, If I'm just shooting simple snapshots that don't mean a lot I use Med JPEG and if I'm shooting stuff I really like and want to have look good, or anything for a client, I tend to use MedRAW. 18MP is just too much for most shots, especially head &amp; shoulders portraits of one or two people.... Then... import into Lightroom 2 and once the files are in the computer, I delete anything blurry or redundant (neither is usually very much though) and then the rest I rename for the project. THEN.... I get to work editing. Once a project is "done" I deliver the JPEGs in the resolution desired or necessary and when I get 4gb worth of data, I burn a DVD as a backup (of the Lightroom 2 catalog, so I have my edits!) Then.... periodically, I backup my entire Lightroom 2 catalog to a second external HD. I find that I don't like to fill up my HD with extra resolution I don't need, hence shooting in MedRAW, but otherwise KEEP KEEP KEEP is my philosophy!

- Jordan

www.freshphotohawaii.com
    </div>