Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice for newbie

Re: Advice for newbie

EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by cmac76
    If I were to buy only one lensto start out(to be a default type lens), what would you suggest?

Either the 24-105mm f/4 L IS or the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. Both would probably work well for you. You'll simply have to decide whether the extra focal length or the wider aperture is more important to you. Read Bryan's review on both before you decide.

Welcome Chris,

My wife and I kind of sing the same song here as you do. We had taken the plunge into digital photography a while ago and after using 35mm film for a long while and we were quite confused with all the choices. In the end we bought the 50D with the kit lens 18 - 200, now the lens is not great for what I am after (we do a fair bit of portrait work & have done a few weddings) so I bought the 24 - 105 f/4 L.

Couldn't be happier with it, the extra length from the 24 - 70 suits me just fine and the f/4 is all I need, plus IS is a bonus. I also have the cheap nifty fifty which is cheap but it does produce really good images and that is it at the end of the day, great images. Over time I have purchased other things like flash, tripod batteriec cards etc etc but you need good glass to start it all off.

I am by far not up to the standard of some of these other guys and galls but what I have I love. Never be concerned about asking any type of question on this forum, everyone had to start from scratch at one point of there lives.

Hope this help you mate,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I'd go 50D plus the 24-105 4.0L IS.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Part of my kit, and its superb! (yep, kind of biased really :P )

5D II + 16-35L + 24-70L + 70-200L + 35L + 85L + 135L + 580EX x 2 and you'll be set

Oh wait, that's just me dreaming again!

All great suggestions in here, personally I'd recommend something like the 7D + 24-105L to learn and if you want a UWA go for something like the 10-20 .. if you need more reach something like the 100-400 or the 70-200 IS 4L

My wife and I were in your situation 3 years ago. We bought an XTi and then shortly after a 40d. My point is not in the camera bodies, but that we quickly realized that 2 people and 1 camera was not a good setup. Two bodies really helped us critique each other's work and with a small selection of lenses, lots more versatility.

Someone suggested a G10 - I think thats a great idea because lugging a big DSLR and lens is not always practical. Sure it doesn't have the bells and whistles the 7d does, but I'm willing to bet you'd have the G10 with you more often and that means more learning.

Good luck with your purchase and have fun!

woot my first post =]

i wish i had a 2000 dollar budget hehe. there is so much u can do with that.

my opinion towards it, start off with a camera, two lenses, and from there buy your accessories.

as for a starting camera..

-Rebel XS, for the price, its great for starting off, and hurts your budget less to buy more accessories. im actually trying to sell one with the 18-55 kit. 3 days left on ebay, lol. i learned alot with this camera, and makes a great transition from point and shoot. about $350-599 dependign if body anlone or with lens

-t1i, i have this camera, and its my bread and butter. if u like to shoot video from time to time, this @ 720p is sufficient. the 15mp is on the edge of cramming so many pixels into one sensor.its nice ergonomics wise, great custom functions, like auto light optimizer and Hilight Tone Priority, its even got an IR receiver for an IR remote. this cam is like a hybrd to the 5d mkII and 50d. i recommend this one! about $670-899 body or kit depending.

-5d, its replaced by the mark II, but its still a full frame for less than $1700 (prolly alot less on ebay), and we all know how much more advantageous full frame is for almost everything

my real advice tho, spend time with lenses. those do make the shots. my 50mm 1.8 is a charm. only like $110 bucks, but its almost top quality in image capturing around f5-f8

and to answer your recent question about one lens only?

its still kinda vague tho but ill answer anyways.

one zoom lens, then the 24-105 or ef-s 17-55, choosing which suits your lighting needs and/or sensor size

one prime lens, then the 50mm 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by hotsecretary

5D II + 16-35L + 24-70L + 70-200L + 35L + 85L + 135L + 580EX x 2 and you'll be set

With all due respect, I don't understand this logic. One camera, six lenses. Three zooms that cover the three primes. Two flashes with no way to trigger them (so one of them is now parked on the camera).

Once there are three lenses in the bag, I'd think a second body would be the next smarter thing, rather than more lenses.

But, if I was going to spend that much on lenses, I'd drop the three zooms (and the 135L) and replace them with the 14/2.8, the 200/2, and put the 500/4 on the wishlist. 4/5 prime lenses, with 2.5x the focal length at each increment, and my only "concern" would be the slow focusing of the 85L.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.