Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dream with me: Alaska cruise, money is no object

Mine too....

But not so random, looking at the kits, it would fit in very nicely.....

On the other hand, if Canon announced a new version of the 100-400mm, you'd have plenty of time to re-plan before it actually came out.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    On the other hand, if Canon announced a new version of the 100-400mm, you'd have plenty of time to re-plan before it actually came out.
    Yes and no. "Announced" and "Shipping" (and "Available for Rental Reservations") tend to be three different dates. Regardless, LensRentals.com is running a Black Friday sale for a few days where we can make two reservations for any ship date at 25% off. I think I can drop items out of a reservation, but I can't add others in after the fact.

My plans are now reasonably firm: a rented 200-400/4 on a 1Dx, my 70-200/4 non-IS on a 1Dx, a 24-70/2.8 on my 1D3, and a rented Zeiss 15/2.8 in a pouch on my belt. I have a Lowepro vest/belt combo with a LensExchange 200AW, coolest lens case ever. I'll be getting a BlackRapid Double strap to integrate with the vest, and carry the 24-70 and 70-200 on that, with the 200-400 on a monopod over my shoulder.

My wife will have a 24-105/4IS on her 5D3, a 70-200/4IS on her 7D, a 14/2.8 somewhere, and optionally our 300/4IS. No idea if she'll want her 100 Macro at all. My dad will have my 7D, a borrowed 18-200, and perhaps our 10-22. We'll have a tripod with gimbal head to "claim our space" at the promenade rail when appropriate. I may take our 85/1.2 if space permits.

I appreciate all the suggestions you've provided. I couldn't justify the cost of renting any tilt-shift lenses, and I just recently deleted the 600/4 from our reservation to be more "realistic" with my expectations.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

We're back, and although I haven't had a chance to go through the results yet (349GB; ~15,000 images), my kit worked really well. The 200-400 was awesome, the 70-200/4 and Z15 "took turns" on my second 1Dx, and the 24-70/2.8 was handy on my "ancient" 1D3. My vest/belt worked great, keeping the BlackRapid double in place and putting things where I wanted them. The lens case was on my left side, since I kept the second 1Dx with either Z15 or 70-200 on the right side (the Z15 is manual focus, so by being right-side it wasn't strangling me with the strap while I put two hands on it, and the 70-200 was my secondary bear/whale/eagle lens so it could be handled single-handedly if needed). I had a utility pouch on the right with CPLs, memory card wallet, and spare camera batteries which I never needed though it did come close.

Maybe next time will be a 100-400II and a 600/4 with 1.4x...
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I'm sending my wife off with my 60D, Sigma 17-50 and Tamron 70-300 for Princess Alaska Cruise on Monday with her family.

I was going to go - but I need to stay at home for my Mother, who's 87 and really shouldn't be left - well without constant supervision.
    For my Hawaii trip in 3 weeks I'll have somebody in place, that's a yearly thing so I already had that planned out.

My Wife used to be quite a photographer, but she hasn't picked up a proper camera since her Nikon FM. I met her in art school - she was the TA in a ceramics class - and she still paints. So, she can be creative when she wants to be! I thought the 60D would be perfect, and those 2 lenses should cover most everything. I got her a Cotton Carrier, because she can't have anything hanging around her neck with her back. She'll be doing a lot of hiking, and when she does the white water rafting, she'll have a D20 and floaty strap.

The Sigma has been a great little lens, I figure fast enough for inside. I'd give her a flash too, but that might be a bit too much! The pop-up can work in a pinch. The Tamron should be excellent for when she's out on her hikes and needs to get some wildlife. I think we'll be sticking with the Creative Zones though - she'll understand the pictures. If she remembers Aperture Priority, that'd be much better - but one thing at a time! Hopefully she'll like it and start using it.

Any suggestions that might help her along would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    We're back, and although I haven't had a chance to go through the results yet (349GB; ~15,000 images), my kit worked really well.
    ...pictures...or it never happened

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post

I think that's a bit unfair!
    It's not like they had a bunch of state-of-the-art cameras and an assortment of fantastic lenses at their disposal.

Um, oh... wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    We're getting there. I split the week up into 8 separate Lightroom jobs to keep it manageable. So far, wifey has done the first round of cuts on 7 of the jobs, and I've done the second round on those 7. I'm hoping to have the whole batch ready by Friday. I also remembered that I have a few cell phone pictures of the "ingestion/news desk", "camera shelf", "charger shelf", and "lens department" in our cabin that I'll share.

Have mercy on him! It took me months to process my own 4000 Alaska cruise photos. I think my policy of "digital is cheap, so snap lots of shots" needs some revising. Digital may be cheap, but my time isn't...

I might be doing another Alaska cruise myself next year, and i'll probably be taking up something like this:
    * A pair of Canon 6D bodies (still need to buy that second 6D).
    * 24x105, or 24-70 f/4 IS (if i actually buy the 24-70 f/4).
    * 16-35 f/4 IS (my most recent purchase).
    * 70-300L
    * 400mm f/5.6 (or maybe 100-400 MkII if it comes out and is good and i can afford it).
    * 100mm L macro.
    * Maybe a 135 f/2 or 200mm f/2.8 for clandestine shots of any show i'm unfortunate enough to find myself in.

* A flash of some sort. Last year i took up my 580ex, but i only used it to snap shots of my cabin. Those cabins are tiny enough that a 90ex would've been fine...
    * A light tripod (Gitzo 1542T with small ballhead) for panos and waterfalls.
    * My Guragear Bataflea 32L for storing all the stuff in. And my little Lowepro PhotoSport 200AW pack for carrying a subset of stuff on excursions. They both worked pretty well last year.

* The idea of renting a BIG LENS is tempting too. Though i'd be scared or losing or water-damaging it. Renting's not cheap though. I was looking at LensRental prices, and it's approaching $1000 for a 500 or 200-400 with insurance. And i'm still out $1000 if it gets stolen, or $12,000 if it gets wet! I wonder how i'd carry the thing too. It's too big for my Lowepro, and my Bataflae is really too big & pretentious to be carrying around much. Need to buy another backpack? And i suppose i'd need a heavier tripod & head too.
    Last edited by Mad Hungarian; 08-04-2014 at 09:24 PM.