Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woohoo!!! I sold my first photo :-) Advice Please!

Re: Woohoo!!! I sold my first photo :-) Advice Please!

I was just thinking, this photo would beautiful in a gallery wrap. More expensive but no framing required. This will allow you to keep the ratio and the beautiful color wrap the edges.

Just another option to think about.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Do you mean finding a size that works for the image, without eliminating a goose or worse, cutting off part of a wing?
    Yes, it would cut off the wing on the left side or add the white to the top & bottom.
    Try the various options yourself by constraining the crop function to a specific ratio in Photoshop, for example. A 2x3 ratio (6x9, 8x12,10x15 print, 11x17 is close but not exact) would maintain the original aspect ratio of the image. I tried some quick crops, and it looks like a 3x4 ratio (9x12 print) would work as well (barely including the wingtips of the geese on the sides), and a 10x13 works too (even tighter, wingtips touching the edge).
    I don't understand why adoramaPix couldn't apply this same ratio techique! I'm baffled by the limitation.

He originally this morning told me he would purchase the 11 x 17, lustre with thefoam core board but then ...

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

I was just thinking, this photo would beautiful in a gallery wrap. More expensive but no framing required. This will allow you to keep the ratio and the beautiful color wrap the edges.

Just another option to think about.

Final decision after I discussed the gallary wrap with him (which he didn't know what one was), was to give me the go ahead to place the order for an 18 x 10.90 wrap!!!!!! YIPPPEEEE!!!

Thanks for all the help!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I don't understand why adoramaPix couldn't apply this same ratio techique! I'm baffled by the limitation.

Me, too! But then, I've never tried with Mpix. I always do all my processing, including cropping to the desired final print size, before I upload the image. Aspect ratio is an issue to consider when taking pictures intended for printing - in fact, Canon makes focusing screens with crop lines for 4x5 ratio (e.g. 8x10 prints), although the 7D focus screen cannot be (easily) changed out.

But, looks like you found a better solution!

Congratulations on your sell!

Final decision after I discussed the gallary wrap with him (which he didn't know what one was), was to give me the go ahead to place the order for an 18 x 10.90 wrap!!!!!! YIPPPEEEE!!!

Is that Canvas? Ouch those prices...

I hope the buyer enjoys your picture! This should have been printed at 20*30 or something. I really like to do that to my own shots a few times a year and hang it in my room.

Just out of curiosity...what price did you sell it for?

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Congratulations on your sell!

Thank you, Jan! I'm pretty excited about it ...oh hell, who am I kidding, I'm alot excited about it!

Just out of curiosity...what price did you sell it for?
    []

Well, we changed the final set-up once again. We are still going with the canvas but we're going with 17x11.33 and a black color side instead of wrapping the photo to the sides so we don't lose part of the sun on top. The wing on the side would have been ok for a 3D effect but who looks at the top of a photo to see the rest of the sun!? Anyway, I am charging him $87. With my $10 credit at adorampix for opening an account, I'm making about $42 profit. Not huge but not bad for a first photo sale ...actually, I'm still not sure if that is good or not so good! [^o)]

Denise

oh hell, who am I kidding, I'm alot excited about it!

Great! [Y]

I'm glad you changed the setup again. I have made some canvas prints myself. Also for family. Some with the wrapping, some without and some with the photoshopped stretched edges.

The 3D effect sounds better than it is honestly. When you're really viewing the image, you're going to stand in front of it anyway. The 3D effect might work for the passing by viewers, but not for the real viewers I think.

I personally don't like canvas anymore since I started printing and framing posters. I always advice people who I shot a photo for to print it large instead of doing canvas. I just like a good print. Canvas works great for the more artistic shots though!

Anyway, I am charging him $87. With my $10 credit at adorampix for opening an account, I'm making about $42 profit. Not huge but not bad for a first photo sale ...actually, I'm still not sure if that is good or not so good! [img]/emoticons/emotion-40.gif[/img]

Yeah it's always hard to charge a good friend or relative (it's hard for me no matter what person asks).... The price seems right to me though. You're not selling any copyright I hope? Just a print? [A]

Oh make sure the canvas gets delivered at your place. Especially when you don't have experience with printing on canvas at that place. You never know, the print may be a lot different than the output on your monitor. And you probably want to make sure the quality you deliver is high.

Good luck and enjoy your victory [B]

I personally don't like canvas anymore since I started printing and framing posters. I always advice people who I shot a photo for to print it large instead of doing canvas. I just like a good print. Canvas works great for the more artistic shots though!

Well, I can't go back and change it again now. I'm just going to have to keep my fingers crossed and hope this turns out!

You're not selling any copyright I hope? Just a print? [img]/emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img]
    Ummm, Ithink I'm just selling the print. [:|]

I had one guy that wanted me to email him the photo so he could use it as a desktop ...I am quite sure he wanted to sell it!

BTW - There is another guy in my office that I do allow using my photos as desktop pics but I guess I never took my photos serious enough before that anyone could make a $ off them. How do I make sure they are copyright protected!? Maybe that is a whole seperate thread topic!

Denise

Sorry, I

in fact, Canon makes focusing screens with crop lines for 4x5 ratio (e.g. 8x10 prints), although the 7D focus screen cannot be (easily) changed out.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I have to have an 8x10 crop screen in my camera. It is difficult to explain to a customer that I can not give them an 8x10 without cutting their head off. I used brightscreen for my rebal. Brightcreen sells cameras with the 8x10 cropline or you can send them yours to have it installed.

Here is another company that sells the screen with instruction to replace it yourself.

With my 5D I purchased the canon screen with the 8x10 croplines.

Mark
    Mark