Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it a smartphone with a camera or a camera with a phone? - 41-megapixel camera?

Thanks guys, that makes sense. At first, I thought is was just the neoclassical version of the theorem, like that big dome across the river from me, with the inscription "Massachvsetts Institvte of Technology."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIT.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	597
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 02-27-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Nokia's white paper adds, "What’s more, based on Nyqvist theorem, you actually need oversampling for good performance." [/QUOTE]

The Nyquist criterion requires that you filter your signal so that you'e not aliasing higher frequency information down to lower frequencies. What they're doing is removing the antialiasing filter by increasing the spatial sampling frequency. I still say that for the lenses they're using all they're doing is getting a higher resolution of the blur disk - no AA filter required for that!

nice one, thanks Nevro.

(I think we better stop)

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    I still say that for the lenses they're using all they're doing is getting a higher resolution of the blur disk - no AA filter required for that!
    I wouldn't be so sure. Mobile phone optics providers publish MTF charts at an incredible 400 lp/mm (over 10 times higher resolution than the highest that Canon publishes) -- and even the cheap ones still have usable contrast at that spatial frequency. (I don't have the link right now, but one of them was posted to Image Sensors World a few years ago, no doubt optics have improved a little since then.)

I tend not to consider a camera phone decent unless they've gone to some measure to protect the lens. Sony Ericsson were good for that a few years ago.

Zeiss F2.0 lens - interesting. I am looking forward understanding this a bit more.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Zeiss F2.0 lens - interesting. I am looking forward understanding this a bit more.
    It's f/2.4, not f/2.0. There was a typo (or rouding) on some of the news stories.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    At one time I was a Nokia fan. I bought a new Nokia and was talking while driving (bad boy), accidently slipped and dropped it out the window. At 50 miles an hour it bounced and came apart. I stopped and picked it up, put the parts that flew off back on and used it two more years.

The next three Nokia’s I had lasted about four or five months each before they fell apart.
    I am no longer a Nokia fan and it will not matter if they have 100mp cameras. They took advantage of their good name and started making junk.

I will keep my iphone.
    I still think a scientific study is in order, throwing many different brands of phones out of the window driving at different speeds, to eliminate any statistical errors.
    I'll volunteer to be the driver, everyone send me your iphones and i'll happily send them flying at 200km/h :P
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

A decent read describing the Nokia's sensor and their oversampling / digital zoom:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...one-camera.ars