Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not Canon, but Sigma 85mm 1.4

Re: Not Canon, but Sigma 85mm 1.4

Hi Denise,

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your new lens. [] From my reading, QC was and apparently remains an issue for Sigma - at least you bought from B&H who have excellent customer service.

Thanks for posting the comparison shots! Looking at the shots on Flickr, it seems that the Canon 85mm f/1.8 is a little sharper. [*-)] These are 100% crops taken from the f/2.8, which is far enough from wide open for them to be nearly as sharp as they're going to get.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-35-15/Canon_2D00_vs_2D00_Sigma.jpg[/img]

This may be an autofocus issue (unless you manually focused with Live View, which is how I usually focus for sharpness comparisons).

Thanks, John!

I waited so long for this darn lens to become available, checking websites daily for it to back in stock somewhere! I guess I refused to except the party was over as soon as it began and that is why I'm exchanging instead of just getting a refund but all the while the more logical side of my brain is telling me I should have just got the refund and moved on to something else completely!

Oh well, we'll see what lens #2 is like next week. If it ends up being just as bad, my next move is either the 5D II or 135mm and I vow to never sway from Canon again!

BTW - Thanks for the crops! They were both done by AF and I didn't even realize how much the Canon was sharper, I was mostly looking at the color difference and testing the shake and rattle of the sigma.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I vow to never sway from Canon again!

Denise

I say same thing all the time. But I always keep looking.

You may be happy with this lens when you get your replacement. Not to fault the pictures I have seen posted, but I have to believe the 85mm F1.2 L would take the bokeh in the pictures to a whole new level. The sigma would be a $ comprimise lens. I use my 100mm F/2.8 L Macro for potraits, I couldn't see myself comprimising for the sigma when the canon 100mm is close tothe same focal length and in my opinon peforms excelent (also keep in mind I use the 5D Mark II Full Frame with it).The 100mmof course is not what I would concider fast..

I like your idea of the 5DII instead of this lens. You have a good collection of L's now and you would get alot more milage out of them with the full frame. It would change the dynamic of how you view the length of your lenses.

Rick

I would agree with John

Hi Jayson -

Well, that lens is back on the UPS truck headed to B&H. Lets keep our fingers crossed that the next one will be perfect! Even the guy @ B&H said it is a very popular lens and is extremely sharp.

So, all I can say is stay tuned ....

Info on my 2nd copy of the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 can be viewed here ...

community.the-digital-picture.com/.../45369.aspx

Opinions appreciated!

Denise